Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android app using too much data? Post details here

Android app using too much data? Post details here

2013-01-09: This topic is now being continued in the new bugs section.

2012-12-06: Our engineers feel that they've gotten closer to identifying the issue. Not to get too technical, it may have something to do with some code that's buried deep in the app. The investigation continues while they try to pinpoint the issue so they can fix it without affecting other parts of the code.

2012-10-03: I just want to quickly update you and let you know we are aware of this bug, we haven't forgotten; and we're looking into it.

Resuming this, the original, thread.

As this issue looks like it's ongoing, but not for every Android user, I want to make sure we gather all the information we can.

(The previous thread is missing information we could use to help find a possible issue).

If you feel that your Android Spotify app is using too much data, either over WiFi or 3G, please copy/paste this template in a new reply and give us all the information you can.

Device model

E.g. Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, etc.

Device’s Operating System

E.g. 2.2 Froyo, 2.3.4 Gingerbread, 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich, etc.

Is your device rooted?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

My mobile Spotify version

E.g. 0.8.4.

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

E.g. 0.8.4.

My mobile provider and country

Eg. AT&T, US; or Telia, Sweden

Using too much data over 3G?

Yes/No

Using too much data over WiFi?

Yes/No

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?

(Not necessary, per se, but good for us to know nonetheless)

My username

To find this, click on your name at the top right of the site (next to where it says "Log out") then click Overview and copy/paste the number.

How much data is being used by the Spotify app?

Please use any of the numerous tools and options available to give us an indication of how much data is being used AND over what period(eg. x MB/hour or y MB over the last 3 days)

There's an example in the original post by licenced.

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

If so, please paste them here.

Community Ergo Sum
142 Replies

Device model

LG Optimus Speed (P990)

Android 2.3.4

Is your device rooted?

Yes

No

0.5.3.56 (0.8.3.655.ga9b08536)

0.8.4.124.ga3559d86

Vodafone, Germany

Yes

irrelevant

No

My username

xlunchboxxx

230MB/Month (no streaming, only "offline" music)

Noticed the same as most people on this thread. Downloaded playlists seem to still be using as mush as 20mb of data for hours worth of playback. The amount of music i listen to would eat up my limitied month data in no time at all. (breakdown of about 16mb forground data and 4mb background data) 

If i swich the data connection off on my phone before pressing play or even in the middle of a track playing, the music plays proving to me that the playlists are definately downloaded.

If i switch spotify into offline mode, no problem with playback still, but data usage is decrease to less than 2mb of background data over the smae length of time of playback.

Switching spotify into offline mode is fine as a work around, (for now), but have forgotten on a few occassions after downloading new playlists, and it also blocks last.fm and facebook scrobbles.

Looking forward to a resolve to this,

Thanks

Steve.

Device model

Motorola Razr Maxx (uk)

4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Is your device rooted?

No

No

0,8,4,124,ga3559d86

Orange (UK)

Yes

No

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?

(Not necessary, per se, but good for us to know nonetheless)

My username

sdh1982

A downloaded / offline album is using approx 20mb over the course of a average album length (approx an hour)

If so, please paste them here.

Device model

LG Optimus Speed / 2x (P990)

2.3.7 Gingerbread

Is your device rooted?

Yes

MIUI Germany (2.4.6)

E.g. 0.5.3.56

O2 (Germany)

Yes

Maybe i don't care 🙂

Only Using Offline Playlistet. Spotify using much data when the data connection is activ. If i deactivate the data connection its still playing music.

My username

160 MB in two Days

I realized, data consumption is defined in the download quality that you have in the settings.

Settings->music quality->Download.

Just my input, but basically confirming all previous. 

On my previous dataplan of 200Mb I only once exceeded the limit in 2 years. Now with two months into a new dataplan of 500Mb I have exceeded both times because of the Spotify app. 

I mainly use the extreme quality streaming solution, because I listen over Wifi. 

After troubleshooting, clearing the app, uninstalling and reinstalling the problem seemed solved. However after returning to the full funcionality the problem is back. 

The last two days spotify used 28 Mb of background data. I have not even used Spotify the last few days.

From september first until now Spotify has used 347 Mb. Of this amount only 100Mb can be attributed to intentional use of spotify over 3G. 

That means 50% of my dataplan is used up by a malfunctioning app. More specificaly Spotify also costs extra because of going beyond my plan. For last month it added an extra 5 euro. 

The hidden us of data with the spotify app has greatly diminished my enjoyment in freely listening to my music of choice. I hope they will soon fix this bug.

Device model

Sony Xperia S Lt26i

Android 4.0

Is your device rooted?

No

No

0.8.4.124.ga3559d86

Vodafone, Netherlands

Yes

irrelevant

Yes

My username

??

340MB/Month (100Mb  streaming) 

I have such a terrible experience lately with spotify, thus being a 3 year paying premium member... It kept synchronising the songs to my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) via 3G and WiFi...in the end, I have been billed enormously for the data used unnecessarily. I did all the troubleshootings and followed from few friends' advise - but vain. So I decided to cancel my subscription as it became so useless for me to enjoy the application. Worst, it wouldnt allow me to play offline anymore.

I hope it didnt happen like that as I used to be a big fan of the app. When this problem is sorted, I will surely subscribe again.

Please update me!

dexter71383@aol.com

Device model

Samsung Galaxy S2

4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Is your device rooted?

No.

No.

Not really relevant.

O2, UK.

YES.

No.

No change.

My username

millais

In the last week, 151mb. In the foreground, 7.55MB, in the background 143MB.

This is getting fairly ridiculous now and is eating up all my data. I'm only on the trial but I won't be paying £10 a month until this is fixed because with the amount of data it's chewing up at the moment it will be costing me at least £25 a month due to bandwidth restrictions.

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to provide an update regarding where we're at on this issue. We know this issue has been lingering for longer than desireable but please bear with us while we investivate.

Initially, our attempts to reproduce this issue ourselves werent' successful, hence the need to collect so much information from everyone experiencing the issue. A few hypotheses are being investigated. 

At the moment, the bug causing this is a top priority although I can't promise it will be fixed in the upcoming release. Previously, I've promised fixes for issues that turned out to be more complex than anyone expected and I'd hate to mislead anyone. 

Thanks for all the reports everyone. Hang in there and we'll post back when we have more information. 

This issue started happening in the summer last month, without my notice Spotify used close to 4GB of "background data"!!! Almost made me go over my monthly cap. This issue has been unsolved for a long time, and I am not happy that we pay our monthly dues, and are faced with this issue that is potentially costing me extra money. The affected people should get some type of a credit to the Spotify monthly fees!!

Device

Google Nexus S

Rogers

Yes

My username

priitn

3 days 1.7 GB of background data

Screenshot_2012-10-10-12-57-00.png

Device model

Samsung Galaxy S3  I9300

4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Is your device rooted?

Yes

No, Stock Rom

Vodafone, Germany

Yes!!

Not relevant, don't know

Yes.

My username

100-200mb for 3 days

No

Maybe you should add buzzwords like "offline playlist" into the header of the thread. People are able to find it easier then..

Device model

samsung s3

Is your device rooted?

no

no

Vodafone uK

YES

no

no

My username

anutter

650 MB over mobile

I logged my excessive data usage case here on 14-08-2012: HTC Desire HD with Android 2.3.5

Just recently I migrated to a new phone: HTC One X with  Android 4.04

The data issue also migrated to the new phone (!). So it seems this  issue is not related to specific phones or versions of Android.

Hi,

I have read older threads about this issue. The phones with this specific problems seem to be the "high-class-phones". Mostly they have big internal storages like my galaxy s3. Despite that, I guess the major part of the users want to outsource the spotify data to the external sd card. This needs the trick to install an older apk first, then select sd-card as storage, and then to update on the newest version of spotify. I did it that way, maybe the rest in this thread as well? I just noticed that and wanted you to know. Maybe it helps.. or not.

Device model

Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100

Android ICS 4.0.4

Is your device rooted?

No

N/A

E.g. 0.5.3.56 (0.8.3.655.ga9b08536)

Linux & Windows 0.8.4.103.g9cb177b4

O2 UK

Yes

No

No

My username

piphil

231MB in the last month

Screenshot_2012-10-18-17-03-46.png

I've  only recently realised this was happening. I've paid £16 in extra data charges in the last couple of months, I thought I was just be profligate with my mobile data but it appears the Spotify app has some real problems.

230MB is half my normal data limit!

All my playlists are downloaded onto my SD card (which I had to download an older version of Spotify to select, but that's another issue) so I would be very irritated if I have just been streaming the tracks I'm listening to regardless. I walk to work listening to music via this app so I'm assuming this is when the data usage is occuring, I'm connected to wifi otherwise. The tracks are downloaded using the "Extreme" quality setting, but why should this make any difference?

So my 2 cents - with this issue on top of the SD card issue (which I've not yet seen explained, maybe I could be pointed in the direction of some reasoning on that...?) I'll give it another month and then cancel my subscription. Given Spotify's previous track record on fixes I'm frankly just expecting to be switching, which is a shame because I love the new app. Prove me wrong people! 🙂

Agree with the poster above.

I simply can't justify spending even more for data than I already am. Unless this problem is fixed very soon then, regrettably, I'm going to have to cancel my subscription which would be a real shame.

Can someone from the Spotify team please give us an update as to where they are with a solution to this problem?

I forgot to switch back into offline mode the other day after downloading some new playlists. . . . . resulting in me eating up over half my monthly data allowance 5 days into the month. Got to the point im avoiding using a service im paying for.

I would say that it's possible the "old-app-SD-card" trick followed by upgrade could be my issue if that is indeed the problem. Frankly if the answer to the problem is to not use the SD card though I would just unsubscribe - chosing the download location was a feature of the app I began my subscription with, and removing that feature entirely is a major annoyance of mine.

Another thought that pops into my head is that I am nearly always connected to wifi when I begin my commute, either at home or at work. Maybe the app is checking for wifi and then not realising it is disconnected when I go out of range and using the mobile data connection? It wouldn't make much sense in any case, as all my playlists are downloaded, but it's a thought.

Is there any log data we can provide for the app to the developers to help move this issue along?

Both this issue and the option to change cache storage location to the SD card on high on our priority list. The nature of bug fixing and client updates being what it is, however, the only official confirmation of a fix will be when it shows up in a future update.

Community Ergo Sum

@piphil wrote:

I would say that it's possible the "old-app-SD-card" trick followed by upgrade could be my issue 

Nope that's not it. I don't have an SD card to move data to so have never used this hack, yet I still have excessive data usage - since day 1 of the Android app preview in March/April this year!!!!!!!

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Suggested posts