Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S21

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

After a recent update, now Spotify in Car Mode will repeatedly flash a message on screen asking me to "Try Saying" something, like go to next track, or show me this artist, etc.  I've disable the "Hey Spotify", but the messages persist.  I've reenabled "Hey Spotify" and tried to feature, only for the messages to persist.  I've cleared my cache and data, and even reinstalled the app, but the messages persist.

At this point, I'm considering ditching the app for the web player while in my car.  This feature reminder is that annoying.  It's also a terrible safety hazard, as I can see the screen changing out of the corner of my eye.  Please advise!

20 Replies

Hi @user-removed,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting!

To start, please run a clean reinstall of the app, as this one is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If this doesn't do the trick, please share with us a screenshot of the error message you get, and let us know the Spotify version you're running.

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

A clean reinstall presented no change.  Screenshot of the message attached 

Screenshot_20210928-183532_Spotify.jpg

Screenshot of the voice settings attached.

Screenshot_20210928-183723_Spotify.jpg

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the post.

You can try going into your phone's app settings and disabling the Microphone permission for Spotify. This should make the Hey Spotify feature disappear completely.

Let us know if that woks.

AlexModerator

Unfortunately, that permission is already not allowed:

Screenshot_20210930-075814_Permission controller.jpg

I'm having the same "problem".. and I use quotes because I get the feeling this feature is actually working "as intended" to advertise or get you to follow more things which is why the support rep thought your "problem" could be resolved with an error code and/or reinstall for cache concerns. If someone from Spotify can tell me I'm wrong, I want to hear it. Spotify, get this off my screen ASAP!

Hey @Rcritser,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

Could you share if you've tried any of the troubleshooting steps above? We'd also additionally recommend to ask a friend or family member to log in to their account on your device and see of the behavior continues.

@user-removed we'd advise you to test the different account as well. This will get us a better understanding of where the root cause of the issue may lie.

Thanks in advance and keep us posted.

Mihail Moderator

Same "problem". Super annoying! Tried both suggestions above. About a week away from cancelling and trying a different service. Shouldn't be that hard to eliminate the "hey spotify..." messages from invading my upper screen space constantly.

Hey there @justme11

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your device and check if the same happens using a different account?

On another note, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Android Pixel 3
Spotify version 8.6.68.1225
Also it appears to only happen in car mode

My wife logged in and she has the "old" car mode when she tries to play songs, so no "Hey Spotify" prompts.

Hi folks,

Thank you for your replies.. 

@justme11 We appreciate this information, we'll make sure to pass it on to keep investigating this. 

@user-removed Since your wife's account is working properly on your phone, have you tried accessing your account using your wife's phone to see if the same happens? 

If not, please give it a go. It will help us get more insights about this. 

In case the issue persists, please share with us the mode, OS and Spotify version of your wife's device. 

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator

I didn't mention it, but I had tried my login on her device.  Both devices are:

• Samsung Galaxy S21
  • Running Android 11 (Sept 21 patch)
  • Running Spotify 8.6.68.1225 (which is the latest on the Play Store)

If I could just revert to the old car mode, that would make me happy.  The new mode is less useful and provides less functionality on screen.

Hi @user-removed,

Thank you for your reply!

This is something Spotify might be testing. Spotify often tests new features for its content, this means you might see something on the app other users don't, or get a new feature to try temporarily. You can read more about it here.

In any case, we want to investigate this from our end. So, to everybody else experiencing this issue, please share with us the make, model and OS version of your phone, as well as the Spotify version you're running. The more info we gather, the faster we can get it reported.

We'll be on the lookout. 

MafeGModerator

I might suggest making an opt-in available in the app for such "testing". I am sure that many users would choose to opt out of such experiments, if possible.

Hey @user-removed,

Thank for getting back to us 🙂

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding this and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also check this idea as it seems similar to your suggestion. You can add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this behavior to us.

We've gathered all the info you've provided so far and shared it with the relevant team, who will happily take a closer look.

We'll keep you posted on any updates here, as soon as there are any.

Take care!

Mihail Moderator

The fix for me was to create a new account and initiate a transfer.  With no one seemingly able to fix the issues with the account, there really is no choice but to eventually close the account afflicted with the unwanted experiments.

I do appreciate all the assistance provided, but this is truly a sad state of affairs for users.

A few days ago I cancelled my Premium Spotify due to this issue. The next day on my commute out of habit I started up Spotify (I had not removed the app so it downgraded to the free ad version), and NO annoying "Try Saying..." messages. That kind of makes it even more annoying...I was paying for those messages 🙄

I do already miss some Spotify features but I won't come back with ads or persistent unwanted AI messages. I will stick with my new service for now. Hopefully this issue will get resolved without users having to create a new account. As @roundtree said, this is truly a sad state of affairs for users.

Suggested posts