Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App closes when opening storage location tab on Android phone

App closes when opening storage location tab on Android phone

I would like to select my SD-card as offline download location for my playlists on my smartphone but when I try to open the Storage tab, the Spotify app closes after 1 second. I don't even get the time to check the current download location. It looks like the SD-card is working fine.

Additional info: Belgian (Dutch) account, OnePlus X (Android 6.0.1)

13 Replies

Same here.
UK with galaxy s7 and just got premium today. So this sucks.

same here moto G play  android 7.1.1

Same failure. Meizu 15 Lite, Android 7.

Same here, really sucks

Two weeks later and still no answer for this? I had to reset my Moto E (7.1.1) and am now having this problem when it seemed to be fine before.

Update: I contacted Spotify a week ago but so far they haven't found a solution.

Update: I contacted Spotify a week ago but so far they haven't found a solution.

Same here, Galaxy S4. It seems the cause is a broken MicroSD card. I tried formatting it at no avail, so I got a new one (128GB). I tested storing stuff and it works, however my Android doesn't seem to detect the used space. So if the system doesn't detect space usage, neither will Spotify. I suppose that once I solve this issue, Spotify will be able to work normally and store my playlist in the memory card. Hope that helps!

I tried several SD-cards and the problem is still there. The SD-cards also work fine combined with e.g. the camera. So it doesn't seem to be caused by a faulty SD-card. 

Finally my system recognized the space used in the SD so in theory Spotify could be able reading the card, but it still doesn't. I contacted Spotify Support by chat and we literally spent hours trying to solve the problem, but we couldn't. We came up with even the most drastic solution such as hard reset, and that didn't help either. So in my case this issue remains unsolved. Possible cause (I think): My old Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1. Spotify worked well on this phone Before, but not anymore.

I have the same problem. Have you tried to update the app? Because I updated Spotify and it works after that.

Yes, I've tried everything and no avail. It just doesn't work!  😞

Hey folks!

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. We'll be happy to provide you with some more troubleshooting steps that you can try out.

To start with we'd recommend you try enabling the permission for storage options for Spotify if it's disabled. This can be accessed by going to Settings Apps Spotify Permissions StorageNote: Menu order may vary on different devices.

After this we'd suggest checking your SD card for errors and performing a clean reinstall of the app.

If you've already tried that you can follow the steps below:

1. Go to your phone’s Settings.
  2. Select Apps.
  3. Find Spotify in your list of apps, tap it.
  4. Tap Storage > Clear Data.
  5. Remove the SD card from the device.
  6. Open Spotify 
  7. Insert the SD card back in and restart the device
  8. Open Spotify and try switching your Storage 

It's also a good idea to try with a different SD-card if you already haven't to see if that makes a difference for you.

We'll be on the lookout for any updates you have for us.

Take care!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts