Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Blank screen on new spotify version

Solved!

Blank screen on new spotify version

I tried the new version of spotify to android 4. It seemed good at first but now i only get a totally blank screen and i can't play any music at all. I have a google nexus. I don't know what the problem is. Any idea??

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Tokafondo - Do you mind confirming which app version you have currently installed? Our latest release 0.6.4 should sort out this issue for you. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@Meredith: Well, it seems to have it fixed. Thanks.

Marked as solution

If you are tierd of getting this errors they have a optimised verson of sopotify for ics 4

http://download.spotify.com/android/PreviewSpotifyAndroid.apk

works just great for me 🙂 

Here to help!

206 Replies

Have you tried killing the spotify app and restarting it or restarting your phone?
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I'm having similar problem.

I have sprint motorola photong.

Everytime I try to start spotify, I get a blank white screen.

I've tried the following, all with same result:

* Checked settings.applications spotify. Confirmed data cache for spotify is empty.

* Powered phone off. then restarted phone.

* Uninstalled spotify, then reinstalled it from the google play market

Each time, same exact result - blank white screen. After awhile, I get the android not responding dialog. I tried waiting, but no help... I tried switching away to look at other stuff and back & then get the android dialog saying it has stopped unexpectedly, with option to force close and report. I reported once.

Ideas?

Hey All,

I too was having this issue. I was about to break my phone in two and cancel my subscription. I REALLY hate that I have to be tech genius to work simple things on my phone. And im not implying that I am a tech genius, just get so annoyed with things I will try to find a solution before I go insane. 

Solution:

(1) Uninstall spotify app from your phone

(2) Make sure all saved data is deleted from phone - applications data

(3) Restart Phone

(4) Go to http://m.spotify.com/us/

(5) Click on manually download to phone. 

(6) Once download is complete, click and install

(7) Restart phone again

At this point the app should open. Log in and get on. Once this happens, you should be able to get in the app store and update. Let me know if this works for others. 

I tried this and nothing worked. This is very disappointing. So am I not going to be able to use Spotify now on my phone if a blank screen keeps appearing? Is this an issue all around? I don't understand why Spotify would release a version with such a serious issue? 

I've just got the HTC deisre C and downloaded the spotify app and get a blank screen. I've reinstalled from a couple of locations and still no luck. Any ideas? 

I have hadthe same issue on my HTC Incredible.  I have turned off the phone and re-booted.  I have removed the spotify app and re-installed.  I have tried the solution listed above, all with no avail.  

The white screen of silence first happened after a Android system update--not sure if they are tied together or not.

happyhour10101 - How's this working for you now? Could you let us know exactly which mobile you're using?

becaoude - I've just moved your post to this more relevant thread. If you haven't already, please try a clean installation following the steps @avalanche201posted above. 

If after that clean reinstallation you're still getting a blank screen, your next port of call would be a factory reset. Please also make sure you're on the most recent OS and before installing the app again. 

For me the problem turned out to be insufficient free space for spotify on the SD card. Instead of an inttelligent message, the screen just went blank when startinghte app. After I deleted some files to free up space on the card, Spotify started properly.

Clear SD card = problem solved

This worked. Thanks so much

hey so ive tried everything you guys have told me to do and NOTHING has worked :_((( i have tried all the steps severall times but everytime i install spotify on my phone it just turns white and i cant use it 😮 i truly have tried cleaning up space but i have more then enough, i have reinstalled it god knows how many times, i have restartd my phone and so on and truly nothing has worked. and my phone IS compatible with spotify, i have a samsung galaxy y pro btw:) if someone could help me it would mean the world 😛

Check to see if your phone has an SD storage card installed.  If it doesn't have one (as was the case with my wife's HTC One S) you will have this issue and similar issues with other apps.  

We got an 8 GB MicroSD card at Radioshack for $12 and solved the problem immediately.  I'm guessing this is probably the issue for many of the other posters as well and wanted to share.

Cheers.

If having serious problems, you could take backups of the device, perform a factory reset / hard reset + format usb storage (if you have one) + format the sd card. Try installing the app and see if it works. Restore only things you need from the backups.

Remember to make sure you backup your device fully. Including copy music/sounds/ringtones/pictures/screenshots from the devices own memory & memory card to the computer via Windows Explorer or such.

DO NOT PERFORM HARD RESET / FACTORY RESET / FORMAT STORAGE / FORMAT SD CARD BEFORE YOU HAVE MADE SURE IT IS BACKED UP OR THAT YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING FROM THERE.

This I'd say would be the last thing you could try if nothing works. Other software might cause odd behavior in the device, so clearing it and then trying again would be a diagnostic type of check.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

I was having this problem on my Galaxy Nexus. Just the title bar/menu button would work. I found a workaround for it

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Verizon-Galaxy-Nexus-White-Screen-Help/m-p/114522#M67...

Had the same problem. Turns out I had my phone plugged into my computer as a mass storage device so it wouldn't access the SD or Internal Memory.

Description

Please describe the problem

Example:

When I try to download a playlist on my Android device it stays stuck on "Downloading 0%", the playlist doesn't sync

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1. First I did downloaded my playlists offline

2. Then they disappeared after a few hours

3. I then reinstalled it to fix the disappearing playlists

4. then i was unable to pass a white screen

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen

When I re-installed the new update, i expected the offline playlists to stop disappearing.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Sidekick.

Device’s Operating System

n/a

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

5 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

58 mb

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

5GB

Is your device rooted?

not sure

you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

no

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

not sure

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

yes

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

No

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

wifi

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

t-mobile, us

My username

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

no

Have done all of these tips listed above:

- Factory reset,

- clear SD card,

- Reinstall multiple times

- Clear data,

everything.

STILL getting a blank screen when I try to open it and it force closes on me.

I have a classy Galaxy S by the way.

I've been 2 weeks without spotify on my phone, it's awful.

same here, it's been weeks. I did factory resert, reformat card, blank screen.

driving me nuts!

I am having this problem too, it only started yesterday, previously the app been working completely fine since I upgraded to premium two months ago. If I turn my phone off then on again, the Spotify app will work when I first open it, but no other times once I close and try to reopen. I just have a blank white screen. It also works the first time I open it after removing then reinstalling through the app store, but again it won't open any more times. Turning my phone off and on each time I want to use it just usn't a good enough hack.

It isn't a problem with space or a new version as it was working completely fine up until yesterday and I haven't upgraded or even downloaded any new apps in weeks that could have messed up storage. Any suggestions?

Suggested posts