Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Blank screen on new spotify version

Solved!

Blank screen on new spotify version

I tried the new version of spotify to android 4. It seemed good at first but now i only get a totally blank screen and i can't play any music at all. I have a google nexus. I don't know what the problem is. Any idea??
206 Replies

I'm getting this issue and it's extremely frustrating!

I'm on an HTC One running 4.2.2.  The latest update for Spotify absolutely killed all functionality for this app.

I'm having the same issues as everyone else. Starting Spotify all I get is a blank screen and zero functionality. I'm able to uninstall and reinstall Spotify and use it a couple times however after a few uses it goes right back to the blank screen and I have to reinstall the app.

My usage is extremely basic. Install app, Log in, select a playlist, select a song, play.

Is there an updated version? Play store shows it got updated today. But version still says 0.6.2.64.

Posted on the other thread for this issue (http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Latest-version-white-screen-no-login-no-playlists-no-se... but posting here as well.

I practically live in offline mode and will flick online only in wifi areas and only download over wifi. I've noticed in the short periods when my spotify isn't WSODing that sometimes on app launch, my library playlist count simply states 'loading' (also new with this version) In order to get the count to populate, I have to exit offline mode to sync, then I go back to offline mode. After this, I will usually WSOD pretty soon.

I have this problem with a Google Nexus S, Android 4.1.2 and Spofify 0.6.2.64. It goes away when I downdate to 0.5.12.52

How do you downdate to 0.5.12.52, or to any other Spotify version that works, could you or anyone else please tell me?

It's available on http://m.spotify.com

The app is worthless,  I have 3 phones a GalaxyS2, a Samsung Epic, and a Droid Razer Max and I have this issue on all 3 phones.  I re-intalled the app with the instructions lister earlier and it works the first time, but the second time I open spotify it wont play anything and when I go back to the playlists I am greeted by the blank white screen.  I have tried resetting the phone to factory settings, I tried not downloading any music, I tried downloading every playlist.  I have even tried this on a phone without a google account and no apps and its still broken.  I've now been without music for 2 weeks and if its not fixed soon i'm out.  The only thing worse the app is the lack of support for it, this is getting ridiculous.

For a while it was okay fbut now again I'm having this white screen issue and it's frustrates me so much. I had to reinstall spotify, re-sync every single playlist (i did that a couple of times already with older spotify versions, tired of this...).. And  I never know when this will happen again.

spotify ver. 0.6.2.64

android 2.3.6 on Samsung Galaxy S Advance.

So I was happy living on an older version the app when suddenly it autoupdated. For three days, all was well. Then all of a sudden, and nothing had changed, it stopped working.

Few more days and I am off to Google.

Try going to m.spotify.com in your android browser and get the app from there while the spotify guys work on this.

Thanks Joe. I did just that and all is well for now. I dearly hope they ARE working on it. I used to always rave about Spotify as I do think it is excellent in most ways ...... this particular problem is very very difficult to swallow though. 

I finally contacted Spotify support pointing them to this forum, as well as comments being made on Google Play Marketplace.

After trying to take me through some of the usual unnecessary support scripts of uninstalling, etc...They then acknowledged the issue and the response was then that they were working hard on fixing it.

So, it sounds like we should watch this space....

And I fear that this issue has been fixed weeks ago but instead of releasing a hotfix release the bugfix is going to be published with the next planned update release. -.-

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to re-download music because of this problem. By the spikes on my wifi usage, it looks like somewhere around 13. Not a bad baseball score. Unfortunately it's not for my team.   

I've had a few stable days and then suddenly the fonts became scrambled on my Razr M.  I rebooted the phone and got another blank screen.  

My folders usually can't be opened without an internet connection, but that's okay because I can't see any folders until I delete all the music anyway.  At least I can open my blank screen in  landscape mode if I want to.

LOL...love your sense of humour 🙂

@markdmc wrote:

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to re-download music because of this problem. By the spikes on my wifi usage, it looks like somewhere around 13. Not a bad baseball score. Unfortunately it's not for my team.   

I've had a few stable days and then suddenly the fonts became scrambled on my Razr M.  I rebooted the phone and got another blank screen.  

My folders usually can't be opened without an internet connection, but that's okay because I can't see any folders until I delete all the music anyway.  At least I can open my blank screen in  landscape mode if I want to.

I just gave up and went to the Google Music service, the app is much better and I even found a nifty tool to migrate my playlists over, (portify).  I will not be coming back as I refuse to pay for a service that is constantly down or requires jumping through several hoops just to make it mildly usable.  The only reason I used spotify was because it had a better music selection but with Google you can upload your own music to fill in the gaps.  So bye bye crappy service.

@skpsjsp wrote:

I just gave up and went to the Google Music service, the app is much better and I even found a nifty tool to migrate my playlists over, (portify).  I will not be coming back as I refuse to pay for a service that is constantly down or requires jumping through several hoops just to make it mildly usable.  The only reason I used spotify was because it had a better music selection but with Google you can upload your own music to fill in the gaps.  So bye bye crappy service.

I'm starting to think I'm doing the same. Every time I update Spotify, I get this blank/white screen and I have to rollback to the last stable version, that I could download directly from spotify.com instead of google playstore.

And redownload all the music, because by some reason, the offline cache doesn't work from one version to another...

Marked as solution

Hi Tokafondo - Do you mind confirming which app version you have currently installed? Our latest release 0.6.4 should sort out this issue for you. 

I have the most recent update, came in on Thursday i believe, supposed to solve these stability issues, but now I'm having the problems it was supposed to fix. Nothing was broken previously.

How do I roll back to the previous stable version?

Marked as solution

@Meredith: Well, it seems to have it fixed. Thanks.

Suggested posts