Bug: Spotify won't stay online with songs available offline

Solved!

Bug: Spotify won't stay online with songs available offline

Device: Samsung Galaxy Player YP-G1 
Firmware 2.3.5 
Kernel 2.6.35.7-G1UEKI8-CL562400 se.infra@sep-59 #2 
Build: GINGERBREAD.UKEI8 

Spotify version 0.4.12.180 
(but bug has been around for months and months) 

Steps to reproduce: 

1. Install Spotify on device 
2. Log in 
3. Make any playlist available offline, even a small one with 10 tracks 
4. Wait for Spotify to sync 
5. Completely exit Spotify 
6. Restart Spotify. 
7. Spotify will not stay online more than a few seconds no matter what you do. 
8. Restart Spotify as many times as you like and observe no change in step 7. 
9. Clear all offline data/wipe cache in Spotify 
10. Restart Spotify 
11. Spotify will now stay online.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have the same problem with my Asus Transformer Prime running ICS. When syncing offline content, after a while Spotify goes offline and theres nothing I can do to get back onlline but to clear all my offline content. My HTC Desire running Froyo works fine.

View solution in original post

28 Replies

This is very similar behaviour to what I and others have seen with other 'unsupported' handsets / android versions.

Normall an uninstall / reinstall, or simply deleting the spotify folder from the SD card and resyncing will make things work for a while - but eventually it starts acting as you describe again.

I created a thread on getting the Spotify app up to scratch - I couldn't fit everything I wanted in the title as its restricted to 100 characters, but anything that addresses it would also possibly solve your issue if you want to go and add your vote:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas-and-Feedback/Spotify-needs-to-support-Android-3-Honeyc...

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

This might be caused by Spotify getting confused as to how many devices you have registered for offline use. Reinstalling/wiping the cache a lot can sometimes cause this.

If you'd like me to reset this information on your account, just let me know (and send me a PM with your date of birth/post code for verification).

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I have the same problem - and this reply helps because I have spotify apps on my android mobile phone and transformer eeepad. You ask for a PM so you can reset the account for me. To what address to I send it? Thanks so much - I hope this does the trick because it is really annoying!

Ah just realised that the Private Message function isn't in full use as of yet, I'll drop you an email instead.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

I own this device and it can be quite annoying and frustrating with having to resync it.

I have sent in a support ticket once a month since it came out asking if there are any current plans to support it and always got the same "we are trying to get spotify on as many devices as possible but there are currently no plans to support it." I even asked if they could even tell me if they were to which I got the response "if we were working on one and could tell you, we would." thats pretty much the same as when someone asks you "apple or orange?" to which you answer "yes".

The app works but not being able to go online is quite frustrating, even when it has pretty much the same hardware as the Galaxy 2

Does anybody know if this fixed the problem?

I have exactly the same issue with my new Toshiba Tablet running Honeycomb and would like to find a cure

Thanks

Richard,

Let's give this a shot.  Please email me.

I just wanted to add my comment that I am having this same problem too on a Galaxy Tab 7+. I signed up for spotify particularly for offline mode and now I can't use it. Once my trial is up I won't be renewing until this bux is fixed.

If there is any info I can provide to help debug this, let me know.

Spotify is amazing and is getting better and better everyday, especially now with the gapless playback and crossfade, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated, as I cant look up new music without being tethered to my home computer on this device.

I really would like support for this device, as I know at least 5 people who own it who are looking for a good, cheap music player and like spotify but don't want to subscribe with how crappy the support is for the device.

Please add support for this device.

I don't know how to PM you but If spotify is confused because I have uninstalled, clear cached and reinstalled way too many times, I'd like for you to look into it especially if it can be fixed.

Was there any change today?

I have got the samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and suddenly after being asked a few time to re-enter my credits, i am able to use the online mode having playlists available for offline mode!

This is the first time it is working since i suscribed. I always had to clear the offline content to be able to connect until today!

Finally 🙂

No update here.
I saw this post and really hoped it could be true but alas the problem remains.

Just tried again to make sure i was not dreaming.

It went offline again until i go to preferences ->disconnect and logon again using the spotify username/password instead of the facebook one. And it is back online...

You must have fallen lucky.
For a moment it appeared to connect (although nothing would sync) But then it went offline again.
Come on super Spotify team. Help us out with a fix here please?

I have an HTC sensation. Spotify (not premium) was working fine up until this morning. Now, it will let me open playlists, but shows all of the tracks as unplayable (greyed out), despite the fact that I can connect to seemingly everything else.

I'm not too good with technology. I have no idea what a cache is. But I am starting to get very frustrated that I can't play the songs in my playlists, and am considering just deleting my spotify account altogether unless I can figure this out.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do?

Depending on your phone, you might need to set up Spotify to store offline files on your SD card.

Instructions here: http://www.spotify.com/help/faq/mobile/android-how-do-i-store-offline-music-on-the-external-sd-card/

Please try this along with the usual other troubleshooting steps.

On Honeycomb it would appear tht write to external SD by applications is not supported.

This looks like a documented Android limitation.

As such, if you do this then exit Spotify, the application will refuse to open a 2nd time thus requiring the user to uninstall the application all together.

Honeycomb devices aren't currently supported for Spotify, so we can't guarantee they'll work as intended.

Check out Mobile page for the full list of supported handsets: http://www.spotify.com/mobile/overview/

Or check the blog for any news on new releases.

Suggested posts