Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

CM9 with DSP Manager

CM9 with DSP Manager

Hi.

I'm using Cyanogenmod 9 with the new version of Spotify.

The problem is that CM9 have DSP Manager to adjust equalizer settings, and that one won't work with Spotify.

The help file for DSP Manager states the following: 

DSP Manager is per-output audio adjustment application.....
The manager can only enable it for applications which are compliant with android's audio effects specification, i.e. most music players.

Is there a fix/implementation plans for this?

12 Replies

Not sure if it's Spotify or the DSP Manager, but the DSP Manager seems to work with other applications, just not Spotify.

I sorely miss the ability to EQ Spotify since it doesn't have its own EQ.

This all seems to point to the new music/EQ API's that Android 4.0+ uses.  Native apps, and those that are built to use the new APIs have access to the default EQ (MusicFX) and any third-party EQ you choose to add.  For some reason, the new holo-themed Spotify app that was designed for Android 4.0 does not use these APIs, and it should.

I may be wrong, but that seems to be the problem.

Indeed, this is the problem.  Tried rolling back to an older version of Spotify with Titanium Backup, but it doesn't let me use it (says update required).  I really wish someone could fix this issue.  I really need the ability to properly EQ my music.  Doesn't seem like it would be too hard of a fix, either.

I had the same proble on CyanogenMod CM9 and have the same problem now with CM10.
I guess a fix would also enable androids Jelly Bean feauture to change track from the pull down menu?

@lagus wrote:
I had the same proble on CyanogenMod CM9 and have the same problem now with CM10.
I guess a fix would also enable androids Jelly Bean feauture to change track from the pull down menu?

There's actually a video during Google I/O that shows the Spotify app having track advance and other features built into the pull-down.  So that's probably a go on their next release.

And seeing that the ever-popular (but less numerous?) iPhone got an update recently, Android is likely next.

I hope they throw in API access to EQs too!

It would be nice but don't hold your breath
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Why wouldn't I?
I as a customer should always give feedback on a product/service I buy. It's just stupid to ignore such requests and sooner or later the retailer will loose out. And in such community as Android have there will anyway be a fix to the issue somewhere... aby one found one yet for CM10?

I found dsp-Manager-ICS-CM9.zip somewhere on xda-forums which work for cm9 but not for CM10.

All I meant is that based on the slow development and release cycle shown by spotify up to this point don't hold out thinking you'll get the feature from them any time soon. I totally agree that that's no reason not to ask for it and try to get it working in other ways.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

@lagus wrote:
Why wouldn't I?
I as a customer should always give feedback on a product/service I buy. It's just stupid to ignore such requests and sooner or later the retailer will loose out. And in such community as Android have there will anyway be a fix to the issue somewhere... aby one found one yet for CM10?

I found dsp-Manager-ICS-CM9.zip somewhere on xda-forums which work for cm9 but not for CM10.

DSP Manager works just fine on CM10, but only for apps that are correctly coded to use Android's APIs for sound, which include use of a 3rd party EQ.

Pandora, Rdio, stock player... everything I've tried works fine with 3rd party EQs.  Not Spotify.

Yes, sorry. I know it works but not in the sense I want it to work.
This forum is about Spotify hence.
DSP Manager does not work (for Spotify)!

The solution I purposed does work with Spotify. If needed I could upload it somewhere. BUT as I said it does not work on CM10.

Just thought I should reply to this thread:  THANK YOU SPOTIFY.  DSPManager now works perfectly with Spotify.  Cancelled my subscription a month ago because I was unable to properly EQ my music (another streaming service had this ability, so switched), but now that Spotify has it, I completely dropped it and returned to Spotify.

Yepp, I have to say the same!

Thank you Spotify for givving me the extra *UMPH* the music deserves!

Suggested posts