Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't Turn off Spotify

Can't Turn off Spotify

I have a Samsung S5 Neo and an update rolled out recently that causes spotify player to show up in the lock screen. The problem with this is if you hit play while it's locked it starts playing. I prefer to have my sound completely muted unless I am expecting a call so I found out my phone was playing music on data all day. Before all I had to do was open up the tabs and hit Close All Tabs to shut it down and I didn't have to worry about it.

I really, really dislike this change. I wouldn't mind the player being on the lock screen if spotify was running and hidden when it is not but I can't even shut it off anymore. 

I admit that I am not a phone person. I got my first smart phone last year after having avoided it for as long as possible but this feels like a horrible design decision.

If anyone can help me come up with a solution to this it would be appreciated otherwise I am just going to end up removing spotify.

2 Replies

Hi @Karede, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Keep in mind that if you hit the Play button on the lock screen the app will start playing with no issues. No worries, you can deactivate that option by going to Settings > Notifications > Find Spotify > Disable show in the lock screen.

Let us know if you need anything else, we're always here for you 🙂

It's a little annoying that you chose to select your response as an answer when it didn't provide a solution in the first place. Especially since your instructions only let me change whether this app can use messages, sounds or vibrations to notify me. Nothing about the lock screen there. The notifications page in the app itself doesn't include anything like this either.

I want it to show when it is in use. Your "solution" seems like it would disable it entirely if it actually provided the option you claimed. 

TL;DR I want it to show on the lock screen when it's in use but not when it isn't in use. This was the default functionality before.

Edit: I was able to unselect the message as a solution.

Suggested posts