Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't download using cellular

Solved!

Can't download using cellular

I want to download a song on Spotify, but when I press the download always appear the words: go to settings for download using cellular
Screenshot_2016-10-03-19-41-35.png
Screenshot_2016-10-03-19-44-37.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Had the same problem on my phone. I went to settings, then apps, then I picked Spotify and went to storage and cleared data. It worked for me 😀(When you are done you have to go to Spotify settings and allow download using cellular)

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I had this same problem. Do you have an SD card in your phone? Mine was fixed by changing the storage location to the SD card (in settings). 

Marked as solution

If you have a dual SIM phone, Spotify may be locked to use one SIM (let's say SIM2). If that's the case, shut down the phone and remove the SIM you don't want to use to download for Spotify (SIM2).

Reboot the phone with the other SIM only (SIM1) and now open Spotify, it should download using the only available SIM (i.e. SIM1). This will unlock Spotify from using the removed SIM (SIM2) and lock it to the available SIM (SIM1).

Then shut down the phone again and re-insert the removed SIM (SIM2). Reboot the phone. Spotify will continue to use the SIM it got locked into (SIM1) for downloads.

It sounds tedious but it's the only way to switch the SIM Spotify will use to download via cellular. There's a stupid bug in the app that locks it into the last available SIM in the single-SIM mode. I have not seen this bug in any other app among the hundreds of apps I have used. What's weird is it only affects downloads. Streaming works fine on both SIMs together and can easily switch between them.

34 Replies

Hi. Take a look at the section "Cannot access Spotify on mobile data " in this post to see if it may apply to you.

I have the same issue. I cleared my cache and nothing changes. Can I get some help?
Screenshot_20161114-093332.png
Screenshot_20161114-093514.png

Did you check out the post I linked to above @alekziom?

Joe,

I changed the protocol to ipv4/ipv6, problem persists.

Assuming that it downloads over wifi and that you have the option to download over cellular turned on in spotify settings, I suggest you get in touch with your mobile service provider.

I think you misunderstood the problem. My cellular Internet works OK. It even plays these songs. But the Playlist won't sync offline. I don't know what my provider has to do with that.

It's march and this is still happening. I have the same issue on Android 6.0

Just something to throw into the mix. There are known issues with spotify on dual sim phones. If you are using one of these, other users have reported that locating the data sim in slot 2 works for them.

I am using one in slot 1, indeed. Unfortunately only slot 1 has 4G so I
guess I'll live with having to play the songs for having them dowloaded.
Marked as solution

Had the same problem on my phone. I went to settings, then apps, then I picked Spotify and went to storage and cleared data. It worked for me 😀(When you are done you have to go to Spotify settings and allow download using cellular)

Definitely this is a problem with dual SIM. Spotify refuses to use SIM1 data to download. If I switch data to SIM2 it happily downloads. Why Spotify why do you care which sim I use for data? I think this is a serious bug in your code making it incompatible with many popular phones! Even name brand phones have dual SIM now. I have to switch SIM cards around just for your app to work? I'm not PAYING YOU MONTHLY for this crappy experience!

Oh man you​ said it right. I also use dual SIM phone, so after reading your finding I switched the data to other Sim and it worked. Now before this, I went crazy by downgrading the versions, reinstalling etc and it didn't work. I agree with you about this bug, I don't understand why can't they fix these bugs.

Noticed this morning that I can't seem to download using WiFi. So did what you said about clearing data or whatever. Then had to go to my account because it cleared everything, which I did not expect. Took several hours to download all my music again. NOT going there again. But it still says Go to settings... SO did what my son the computer software major says to do... RESTART YOUR PHONE. Works fine again.

I'm using a dual sim phone and I can't download using data too. Just removed the other sim, then done. I can now download through data.

How you do that, cuz i trying with both of my dual sim.. None of them works, it can only download using a wifi..
I already turn on my download using cellular data but its still not working

I put my phone on aeroplane mode and then off aeroplane mode and it started working
Marked as solution

I had this same problem. Do you have an SD card in your phone? Mine was fixed by changing the storage location to the SD card (in settings). 

I am using dual sim as well, but this issue appeared after full wipe and I updated the GUI on Android. Download on wifi works fine, and I can listen to online music on cellular, only the download to offline does not work!

If you go into spotifys actual settings (not your phone) scroll a bit and it will say download using cellular, switch that tab over. Mine works fine now.

Suggested posts