Free

Country

Italy

Device

Sony Xperia XA2

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

I'm trying to log into the Spotify web player (open.spotify.com) from the Microsoft Edge browser app on my phone. The first time I tried, I was presented with the screenshot below, so I clicked on "login" and was asked for my email and password, which I input, but when I confirmed my entries, that initial screenshot got shown to me again. From that moment on, I've been stuck on a loop where clicking on "login" simply leads to that same page again, as if I was just refreshing it.

I've tried on a friend's phone (Huawei P20, Android 9 as well but using Google Chrome instead of Edge) and was able to log in without issues (using their credentials). When I tried their credentials on my phone, I had the same issue, so I think it's probably Edge-related. Seeing as both Chrome and Edge are listed as browsers which support the webplayer though, I'd really like to use this option instead of having to download the app... Has anybody faced a similar issue? How did you solve the problem?

Screenshot_20200327-210447_Edge[1].png
4 Replies

Hey there @Gabieler

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

As a first step we'd suggest trying again in a private/incognito window. This step makes sure you avoid issues with your browser's cache. If that doesn't do the trick try again in a different kind of browser.  

It's also good that you tried logging in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Hi Ivan,

thanks for getting back to me. I updated Edge and tried again with both an InPrivate tab and then a normal one again, but having cleared all browsing history, cookies etc. both from within Edge and in the Settings/apps menu beforehand: in both cases, what I got is the screenshot below.

Clearly something has changed after the update, as I'm not even given the option to try and login any longer, but this nag screen instead, allowing me to preview some playlists which I guess are popular in my country and showing a button that leads straight to the Google Play Store to download the Spotify app.

To check if this was maybe a new policy by Spotify (maybe they don't want people accessing the web player on mobile devices), I tried again on my friend's phone (again, same Android version but Google Chrome instead), and again was able to login there without any issue and play songs.

Does this mean Spotify doesn't support the mobile version of Edge any longer?

Screenshot_20200331-092900_Edge.png

Hey there @Gabieler

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We've checked on this with the relevant department and it seems that the web player is compatible with the Microsoft Edge browser.

This makes me think you should try a clean reinstall of the browser and see how it goes afterwards. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Thanks Ivan,

I forced the app to stop, cleared cache and storage, then uninstalled it; after that, I rebooted my phone and installed Edge again, but unfortunately the issue is still there - that same page I attached as a screenshot in my last reply appears again.

To ascertain if this problem only affects my phone, I tried downloading Edge on my friend's, too, and accessing the web player from there, and what do you know: that same page appears there as well! Which leads me to believe that this is a problem with the web player and Edge on Android in general; I should mention I use Edge on my PC as well, never had any issues with the web player there so this just affects Android (well, version 9 anyway).

Is there any way for me to report this so the bug can get fixed?

Suggested posts