Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

I can't play local files through Spotify. They play just fine using other players, and I followed the instructions on how to play local files on my phone by adding them to a playlist using the desktop app. They do not play on my PC either. They aren't DRM protected, I checked. Why isn't this working?

4 Replies

Hey @mariehansen!

Welcome to the Spotify Community! I'm thrilled to help you out.

I can understand that you'd like to play local files on your phone, that you previously added via the desktop app. However, I need some furhter information in order to provide you with the most accurate steps.

Do the songs appear on your desktop device or aren't they visible at all? What devices and OS are you on (both mobile and desktop)? Is there a current subscription linked to your account? Did you connect both devices to the same WiFi network when trying to download songs?

It'd be helpful if you could provide a screenshot of what you see on your computer and on your phone.

Thank you very much in advance 🙂

I'm having this problem as well.  I've downloaded the files to my android phone.  They are showing up, but are greyed out.  I can play them on my desktop Spotify app, but they won't play on my phone Spotify app, like I said, they are greyed out but the files are on my phone.  Any idea how to fix this?

Hey @nogoshekwinski

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this!

First up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall on both devices to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

If this doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you make sure the files meet these requirements. 

Additionally, keep in mind that both devices must be connected to the same WiFi network. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for the quick response.  I don't want to jump through all these hoops just to play something local on my phone.  Therefore, I'm just going to use a different app to play these files.

Kind Regards,

Suggested posts