Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play song with google voice

Solved!

Can't play song with google voice

I cannot play a specific song with google voice anymore. I.e "play thunderstruck on spoitify" only opens the app not play the song. If I say play ACDC it will start to play their songs.... But cannot play specific songs like before.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have a support ticket in with Spotify. After poking them politely but firmly and sending the link to this thread, I got this back:

"Please be assure that your case was reported to our developers and that they're currently working on it. We can't provide an exact timeframe for this issue to be fixed, but we'll be sure to let you know as soon as there is an update."

I'm not naive enough to think this isn't a canned response, but it gives me a little hope. I sure would have liked to see something like, "We've replicated the inability to use 'play song by artist' with Google Now + Spotify and it's on our list of active bugs".

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I just asked her to "play itsy bitsy spider" and she just started playing "Smart Baby Lullaby without hesitation.  So this issue has been going on for months now and no resolution?

Not very encouraging.

Marked as solution

I spoke too soon. My issues continue. I'm wondering if I could cancel, and create a brand new account? 

Marked as solution

I went over to Google play, it works 95% of the time.  Better than 0% I guess.  Plus they have a family plan for all 3 of us for $15 which is $5 each instead of $10.

33 Replies

this is happening to me too. playing a specific song works for other music apps, like YT Music

I have a Note 7. This was not an issue before I switched phones.

I'm still on note 5 and it's happening

Same. I don't know if it ever did work since prior to buying the Note 7 I didn't use voice commands for much as my old phone was fairly janky with them. If I command it to start playing a band, it will just start playing the top songs by that artist, but if I ask it to play a specific song, it will open the Spotify app and that's it; it won't play anything, it won't even move to that artist's page.

I really wanted to use google voice commands to fiddle substantially less with my phone while driving and it's a bit disappointing that I apparently can't really do that. To me that seems like a no-brainer but what do I know.

Yep - Same here. Are you all PRO users? Someone else worked with Spotify on this issue, and it turned out there was something wrong with his account. The Search was treating him as though he was not a PRO user, meaning he could not search for individual tracks. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-auto/526404-can-i-get-some-help-some-spotify-problems-voice...

I've sent an email to Spotify, and hope they realize this not just a one-off issue, and figure out a holistic fix.

Assuming PRO means I pay a monthly subscription then yes, I at least am a pro member. I was not aware individual track searching was a pro only feature. Please update us if you get a response!

Yes really hoping they come out with a solution soon !

Yes really hoping they come out with a solution soon !

Interesting! I am a Pro user. Initially I started with the regular plan, later switching to the student version. Now I get it free through Starbucks. That could probably have an effect since I'm not "technically" paying. When I switched from regular Pro to the free Starbucks one for a while it didn't let me play songs offline even though it said I was Pro. Eventually it fixed itself. I will probably also Email them so get their attention because it's really the most useful feature while driving.

Same issue on HTC 10. Do we think the issue is with Spotify or Google Now? Good luck getting either of them to admit fault.

As for Google Now vs. Spotify -- my guess is Spotify. I can search and play band playlists, i.e. "Play OK GO" with no problem, which to me indicates Google Now is working fine.

Also, I log in with Facebook credentials. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Same issue, S5 6.01 Premium user although through a carrier deal. Worked just fine a while ago, very useful feature for driving.

Same here on a Sony Z3V. I can weirdly ask it to play Itsy Bitsy Spider when my daughter wants to hear it and it works. 

I think Google Voice commands broke when Spotify introduced the new Home screen to which the app always opens now. If one of you has the time, you could try installing an older version and see if Voice commands work,

Welp, Spotify support gave me a test account to try, and it didn't fix a thing. And they responded with this:

"We've taken a look and verified that when you use Google Now it would only be able to play an album or an artist. For example, you can say "play (artist) on Spotify", and Spotify will play any song by the artist you'll mention."

Clearly, not a good answer.

I'll be taking a hard look at Amazon Music - if it can do this, I'm out.

This worked very well for me (starting sometime in 2015?) until what was either a recent (September 2016-ish?) Google App or Spotify update. Spotify support, although friendly, has been abysmal -- endless circles of "update your version of Android", wipe your device, etc. Really disappointing. I even went as far as to send them a video capture of Google Play Music working perfectly and Spotify just sitting like a big, dumb moose in response to voice commands.

"Play [song] by [artist]" works perfectectly with Google Play Music, and Spotify will likely lose me as a customer if they don't provide some sort of reasonable response, even if it is to blame Google (which may very well be appropriate).  

Please Spotify! Can you get a programmer to take a look at this!?

I think my issue may be fixed. On a whim I tried using "OK google" to play a specific song...and, it worked. Song after song, it worked. For what it's worth, I had deleted and re-added Spotify. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but that's something I'd tried numerous times before with no luck.

Would love to give credit to Spotify if they made a specific fix. Anyone else have luck?

Unfortunately, no luv for me. I did just wipe Spotify and re-install (as I've done many times before) to no avail. 

Do you know if you recently received Google App or Spotify updates? Could you post your version of both apps?

Suggested posts