Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast audio and Spotify - Stuttering

Chromecast audio and Spotify - Stuttering

Hello, I just set up my chromecast audio and I'm supposed to be able to stream spotify music to my speakers through it. I play music on my iphone and then I select the device and it starts working at first. after a few songs it always starts stuttering. Does someone have the same problem? does someone have a chromecast audio working with spotify?

Latest versions of everything (chromecast's firmware, spotify app)

original cables

next to the router (2,4GHz network)

apparently it has to do with spotify because I just donwloaded Deezer and I'm not having the same issue.

any ideas?

thank you!

33 Replies

I found out it only stutters when I change songs too fast. I think it
pre-loads songs, and if you change it too fast it fails to play them. My
solution is adding songs to queue instead of changing them in the middle.
Also, when the chromecast is behind the tv, it gets less wifi reception.
Buy an hdmi extension and don't block the way between the chromecast and
the router. If it continues to fail, I just turn it on and off. Chromecast
glitches sometimes.

I kid you not, I have had this problem for a real long time. No matter what Chromecast device I used, it would skip, stutter, stop randomly. Sometimes a few speakers would play while others that should be playing stopped. 

But after scouring the internet, i found a blog post stating a solution, and it worked! 

Solution: make it to Spotify chat support and ask them for a "test account". Once they give it to you, log out of Spotify on the device that has Google Home installed. Close the app. Clear cache. And open the app back up and log into it with the aforementioned test account. (I played a few songs to see if it stopped and it did.) After that, you can log out and log back in with your account.

That's it!

Note: it only was fixed after I logged in with the test account on the device that has Google Home installed. 

I don't have any problem in the home, only in my car. Even after ( working
w/ Spotify) deleting my account, Spotify clearing my email address, and
reinstalling my account. The only thing that worked for car audio was to
not use blue tooth, use a cable w/ 2 male plugs,
head phone jack to jack on face on stereo

I have the same problem when my internet connection download speed drops below 5MB/s  Very frustrating and only occurs with spotify.  I can stream netflix video no problem with speeds at 2MB/s.  Thinking about ditching spotify.

Going through this process is ridiculous.  The bandwidth required for audio shouldn't cause this issue. If spotify aren't interested in fixing this issue...................

Yes - this service is attrocious.  For a long time last year I was having issues connecting to Chromecast. That seems to be solved and it was looking good.  Now I have this issue - its enought to stop my subscriptions and swich to google music.  Common Spotify....this is not rocket science!!

Problem seems to be solved for the moment.

Spent 1 hr on the chat line with spotify help, first explaining that I wasn't talking about the 5 second buffering delay.  Then they thought my account had been compromised.  Spotify locked down my account and I needed to delete it off all devices and reactivate with new password.  I didn't get any explaination of what "compromised" meant and when I pressed for an explaination it was talked away as a minor concern - very strange.

how has this not been solved yet? people have been having the same issues for 2 years. netflix is fine on chromecast but spotify stutters and jerks every **bleep** song. itll be because they use a different code for casting music. same reason we cant use auto volume levelling on chrome cast either. spoitfy is behind the times, they are the bebo of music streaming, maybe its time to switch.

No, problem still happens.

Spotify said my account had likely been compromised and they deleted it.  Once I reinstalled on all devices the stuttering stopped for a day or two but still occurs.  I gave up on the Chromecast and use another service to cast with, and Spotify with bluetooth if I want to run through speakers.  As soon as the other service I'm using gets more variety I'm dropping Spotify

Anyone in 2019 having the same issue? I'm experiencing stutter, even with high speed connection, only with Spotify. Other streaming services are perfect.

I had the same issue, end of 2017and most of 2018 nothing seemed to help.
Then, one day after a Spotify update, that seemed to have fixed itself.
Good luck,
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

As I recall my issue went when I either factory reset/upgraded by Chromecast Audio (where I had the issue).  After that is was fine.

My issues w/ Spotify w/ Chromecast is it often gets confused who is in control.  THe spotify app will go brain dead and the chromecast device will still play music but any control of it (like volume) will require that I restart the app.  It is frustrating and enought to have me consider bailing to google music whic doesnt have this issue.  

Yuuup. This is almost entirely Spotify. Use Google play, problem goes away.

I’m having the same problem trying to listen through two speaker systems at the same time. They’re supposed to be paired and play together, but usually after about one song one of them begins to stutter and freeze while the other one continues. Makes the pairing function absolutely useless. 

Suggested posts