Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast cannot launch from Android app

Solved!

Chromecast cannot launch from Android app

Hi all,

Up until recently I could cast just fine from my OnePlus3, but recently the following happens:

1) I select the Chromecast device, just like before:

Screenshot_20161015-131726-2.png

2) The Spotify load screen shows up on my TV as normal, but crashes after a while and goes back to the main screen.

3) After this has happened once, and this prevails until killing the Spotify app, for some reason the icon for the Chromecast has changed to a speaker:

Screenshot_20161015-131714-2.png

4) At this point no amount of re-connects will work, and re-starting the Android app will reset the icon to normal.

5) I have tried: Factory reset of the Chromecast, made sure I'm using the latest Spotify app etc.

Most important point of all: Trying this in the Spotify app on iOS worked instantly, and after the iOS device has successfully connected, the Android device can control the Chromecast. Even after stopping playback, the Android device can send songs to the Chromecast assuming that the Spotify "wait-screen" is showing on the TV. So essentially, the problem is that the Android app is unable to launch the CC Spotify app, but the iOS app can do it just fine.

It seems to me there's something wrong with the handshake between the Android device and the Chromecast, so I'd like to know if you guys are seeing the same issue and if you can identify any recent code changes that may have caused this.

This is a major use case for me so if this is not fixed I may move to another service completely (like Google Play).

Update: In addition to trying new firmware on my Chromecast (preview build) which didn't help, I have also tried manually downgrading the Spotify app on my Android phone, I tried about 4 different version, some of them quite old, and they all had the same issue, so this may be an issue on the Chromecast end, but I'm not sure. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help diagnose this, but as I see it you should be able to reproduce this now.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

My issue resolved itself, it is working again without changing anything.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey,

have you tried to install a preview firmware on your Chromecast?

I'm using the preview on my Chromecast 2 and Audio and it just works great.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6343937?hl=en

Otherwise you can try to clear cache/data of the Spotify App.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/how-to-clear-android-cache-apps-and-browser/

Hopefully this helps. 🙂

If not just contact me I'll try to help!

Lucas

Hi,

i have the same problem described by resk.

Until a week ago i can launch spotify on my tv, with Chromecast, from my Motorola G5 (android 6.0.1). 

The firmware version of chromecast is 1.21.74816 (just update).

I try to clear spotify cache on mobile but nothing.

I also try to update the firmware of Chromcast but the problem it is not changed..

I have the exact same problem. I've updated all possible software, rebooted my router/chromecast/phone but the problem persists.

Any other casting still works fine (Netflix, YouTube, Screencast)

Per the above suggestion I signed up for the Chromecast Preview Program, my CC is now running 1.21.74816 which is a preview build, and I can confirm this has not resolved the issue. The Android Spotify app still fails to launch the CC Spotify app. I am running the latest Spotify app available from the App Store.

Still not fixed. Any comment from Spotify?

I confirm! Still not fixed!
I'm a premium use, i pay for tthis service!
I don't know why Spotify not fix the bug!!!
Marked as solution

My issue resolved itself, it is working again without changing anything.

I just tried and it's working for me as well. I can now successfully launch the Chromecast app from Android.

Yeah!
Confirm thet i cani launch Spotify with Chromecast!

Suggested posts