Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast

Solved!

Chromecast

I dont see were to enable chromecast.  Could someone help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

a). The labels actually put a more stringent rule on Spotify to adopt a stricter encryption model than the other streaming services. I'm not sure why, possibly locale?

b). The Chromecast model is complex. Your phone is the controller and send a message to your chromecast to play something. The Chromecast then connects to the streaming service (in this case Spotifys server) to retrieve the track. It must then get decrypted on the chromecast using your personal key. Due to the more complex level of encryption enforced on Spotify it would take longer for the decryption to take place thus affecting the user experience.

So we have 2 levels here, the other services such as Google Play or Deezer use a lower level of encryption... you may also find some lag or unresponsiveness while the decryption takes place. This then affects the user experience and we would see a rise in complaints about the chromecast compatability and how it jumps, skips or is slow to respond. So do you release something knowing that you are going to meet the demand, but fail on expectation or do you hold off and wait a little longer to be able to provide the best user experience?

FYI - I have a Chromecast and support this idea (as you can see from my signature). However I am realistic to the demands of adding such compatability and am patiently waiting for Spotify to release it and work perfectly!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey there!

Unfortunately, Chromecast isn't currently supported by Spotify. If you'd like to see it implemented, I recommend commenting and leaving your kudos on this idea - http://community.spotify.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/ideaexchange/article-id/30095/page/140#com...

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram

This doesnt make sense.  Chromecast has been available for over a year.

Correct. However there are certain technical issues and encryption /decryption complexities due to the more advanced encryption used by Spotify. Also android TV is to replace chromecast so it makes sense to wait and see.

Android Troubleshooting:

Id beleive the encryption issue if Play, Hulu, etc have not already worked that out.

Chromecast does NOT equal android TV, apple tv, rokue etc.  The later are TV watching experience devices.  Chromecast a cheap streaming device.  With chromecast I would be able to get home and stream music to which ever room I am in without having to turn the TV on.  That is not the case for any of these other devices.  

Even when android TV comes out, it will NOT replace Chromecast or the reason people continue to get Chromecast.

Marked as solution

a). The labels actually put a more stringent rule on Spotify to adopt a stricter encryption model than the other streaming services. I'm not sure why, possibly locale?

b). The Chromecast model is complex. Your phone is the controller and send a message to your chromecast to play something. The Chromecast then connects to the streaming service (in this case Spotifys server) to retrieve the track. It must then get decrypted on the chromecast using your personal key. Due to the more complex level of encryption enforced on Spotify it would take longer for the decryption to take place thus affecting the user experience.

So we have 2 levels here, the other services such as Google Play or Deezer use a lower level of encryption... you may also find some lag or unresponsiveness while the decryption takes place. This then affects the user experience and we would see a rise in complaints about the chromecast compatability and how it jumps, skips or is slow to respond. So do you release something knowing that you are going to meet the demand, but fail on expectation or do you hold off and wait a little longer to be able to provide the best user experience?

FYI - I have a Chromecast and support this idea (as you can see from my signature). However I am realistic to the demands of adding such compatability and am patiently waiting for Spotify to release it and work perfectly!

Android Troubleshooting:

With over a year since release, and the most requested feature, I would think Spotify could do a better job conveying those issues. 

This doesnt keep people from seeing this as a lack of support for users requests, especially since this is the most we have heard and it took over 6 months to post:  "Thanks for the votes and comments! We're listening but don't have an update just yet. Please continue to show your support and stay updated in this thread." 

Spotify connect seems like it could replace the features that everyone wants on Chromecast.  If spotify could partner to create a cheap dongle only for audio, I would bet that most of the Chromecast complaints would subside.

Agreed. A formal answer from Spotify as opposed to leaving people 'hanging' would be good... However I suspect it would closely match the answer I've just given 😉

Android Troubleshooting:

its time to act spotify - http://blog.deezer.com/deezer-is-now-integrated-with-googles-chromecast/ weve waited long enough

Since we can stream Spotify from Chromecast already through stream my screen feature, Spotify should add this already. It will grow its subscribers so much. I have switched so many people from Pandora to Spotify but this feature needs to be added asap to keep us to stay. Every other streaming app has this feature. There is no excuse for Spotify to not add it. Being behind in this tech age is just sad for such a great service.

Suggested posts