Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecasting silence

Chromecasting silence

Spotify is casting silence when I try to cast from my Pixel 2 XL to any of my Chromecast devices in my house (several - Google Home, Chromecast Audio, etc).

I can see the song advancing on my phone, but nothing is coming out of my Chromecast attached device. If I quit casting, it will resume playing on my phone fine.  However, Google Home indicates Spotify is still attached to the Chromecast device, and I have to manually disconnect it via GH app.

I have rebooted my phone and the behavior did not change.

All of the other apps on my phone successfully cast audio to my Chromecast devices.

I have no interest in working around the issue by casting the entire phone via Google Home app because that also casts any notification noises.

Spotify has often had Chromecast bugs, this just seems to be the latest....

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Pixel 2 XL

Operating System

Android 

My Question or Issue

5 Replies

Hey @mikew_nt.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Have you already tried to do a reinstallation of the app? Also make sure you have the newest firm/software on your Chromecast. A quick reboot of your Chromecast could also help.

That should do the trick. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I'm just coming back to check on this (email notification does not seem to work...).

No, updates to the app nor reinstalling.

Same situation as before, any other app casts fine, Spotify does not.

This appears to be the exact same problem as reported at 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-does-not-work-with-Google-Home-Google-Mini-or-Googl...

Hey @mikew_nt.

Thanks for updating us on your situation.

Are you using a WiFi connection to connect to the Internet? If so, could you try switching your router from a 5GHz to a 2.4GHz connection and then trying to stream your music?

Let us know how that goes. We'll be here if you need any more help 🙂

You're kidding, right?

Spotify has had Chromecast support issues from the beginning.

Why don't you guys just fix them?

Why is Spotify the only app I have that had issues with Chromecasting?

Hey @mikew_nt,

We want to help sort this out together. There are still a few things we can try.

First and foremost, make sure the volume is turned all the way up on both your Android device and Spotify app. On the Spotify app, this should be found beside the speaker you're currently connected to. When playing music, tap the Now Playing  bar (should be an arrow) at the bottom of the screen and select Devices Available. Make sure the volume is set to the max. 

Also use your TV remote to control the volume up and down if you're using that. 

If that doesn't work, we'd like to try some more things (we understand that you've done some of these, but please double-check):

• Try restarting all your devices (and speakers), and unplug them/plug them back in.
  • Make sure that all devices’ software are up-to-date. If you don't know, check with your devices' manufacturers for how to update the version software.
  • If possible, try switching between different networks and see if that helps, making sure all your devices are connected to the same one.

If that doesn't work, get back with your Spotify version and we'll have a closer look.

Hope that helps! 

Suggested posts