Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Disable automatic switching between devices

[Connect] Disable automatic switching between devices

Spotify Connect is great but the automatic switching is not for everyone.

Please allow us to disable automatic switching between devices. I understand Spotify doesn't like user to play in more than one device and I am happy with that, but the application shouldn't switch devices if the user does not want to do this. It clearly creates frustration amongst users.

In my particular case I work from home listening to music on my computer. I find really annoying when I plug my headphones in my phone to take a call and suddenly the music starts playing in my headphones.

This is what happens step by step:

• Spotify is in my mobile running in the back.
  • Spotify is playing in my computer.
  • My phone rings.
  • I take the call at the same time that I get my headphones on me.
  • I listed to a combination of my client/colleague and the music that I was playing in my computer, usually very loudly.
  • I stop the music.
  • I comment with my client/colleague how bad is Spotify.
  • I finish my call.
  • I go to my computer, change the playing device on Spotify to my computer and play again.
  • I do this a couple of times until I get fed up of Spotify and I play music from somewhere else.

This problem has been already described here: LINK  but it has incorrectly tagged as repeated (the problems and solutions suggested are different).

102 Replies

Hmm, OK thanks man. I will try this! Thanks for sharing

Plan

Premium

Country

France

Device

Xiaomi 11 lite 5G NE

Operating System

Android 13 - MIUI GLobal 14.0.9

My Question or Issue

I tried to find the solution to my problem but only found a topic for iphone.
When I'm listening to an album on my tablet at home (android 11) and I switch off playback but leave the app open and start playback on my phone, the song plays for 15-20 seconds and then switches back to the tablet. Even when I switch devices again and select my phone, playback systematically switches back to the tablet. I can't find a solution, apart from disconnecting all devices on my account.
Thanks for any future help.

Please fix this - this is incredibly annoying and will make me cancel our Spotify family plan. Add an if statement to your criteria - If switches to headphones and opens Spotify app, then play music on Spotify. If connects to headphones, but doesn't open Spotify app, then don't switch music over to phone. This is not genius level stuff here.

Suggested posts