Premium Family

Country

Canada

Device

Google Pixel 7

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

I switched from a free plan to a Premium Family plan to try to solve my problem of Alexa not finding my created playlist, but the problem still exists.

I can play the playlist if I simply use the Spotify app on my phone or desktop. I have renamed the playlist several times to see if that would work, but it didn't. I have restarted my Echo Dot a few times also.

My playlist is called "Favourites". If I ask Alexa to "play my favourites playlist on Spotify", I get some other playlist with "favourites" in the name. With other names that I have used I again get another playlist that may have one of the words in my playlist. Surely I should be able to play my created playlist. Am I missing something here?

Any suggestions to help me?

As an experiment, I renamed my playlist to "Cucumber" and asked Alexa to play it. The response was "Cucumber playlist on Spotify", but nothing played - weird!

6 Replies

Hey @AC1943,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you check the regional settings of your Alexa account? They should match the ones from your Spotify account.

Does this happen only with the mentioned playlists or any playlist?

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thanks for the reply Dian.

I was able to check the regional (timezone) setting in Alexa, but could not find any way to check that in the Spotify app. I could check the timezone on the webpage and corrected that.

I decided on the app to delete my personal playlists and create a few on the phone app, and this is where things get "stranger and stranger"! When I asked Alexa to play a newly created Playlist #2  on Spotify, that worked. However  a new playlist called Playlist #3 did not work - I got some random playlist that had a 3 in its name. Why does this happen?

I was able to play most (but not all) of the mentioned playlists/albums. Sometimes what played had very little to do with the name listed. This of course is only when I use voice commands. And just so that you know, I speak very clearly in normal English with no regional dialect!

So why should it matter whether a playlist is created on the phone app or the desktop app, or even the webpage?

Why is Playlist #2 recognized, but not Playlist #3?

Hopefully you can provide some answers.

Hey hey @AC1943,

If the playlist is newly created it might not yet be synced with Alexa and in that case it can help to unlink the accounts and re-connect!

There is also a section about getting Alexa to play your stuff here 🙂
Keep us posted on how things go!

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your reply.

I had already unlinked then relinked Alexa, but I did it again with no change. The Spotify app sees my playlists and I can play them on the app.

The problem lies with Alexa recognizing the playlists, and I get these strange results. For example, I asked Alexa to "play my playlist number 2 on Spotify". This is what came back "Playing Fuego #022 from Spotify".

I have another playlist called "New playlist". I asked Alexa to "play my new playlist from Spotify". What I got was "New and Bold from Spotify".

In both cases, my activity history shows clearly what I said - exactly what I did say. How can it possible misinterpret "Play my new playlist from Spotify"?

I submitted feedback on both, but I'm not optimistic that anything will happen.

Alexa obviously does not recognize the existence of my playlists, whatever name I give them.

II am beginning to feel that this is a lost cause!

Hey @AC1943,

Thanks for keeping in touch. 

We'd recommend that you try restarting your devices and check if you'll still experience this.

If the restart doesn't fix it - try getting in touch with Amazon customer support via this website. They should be able to provide you further help and instructions.

It's worth mentioning that when you give voice command to Alexa device (for playing a specific playlist), it'll search within the whole Spotify catalog for any similar results. If the name of the playlist is too generic - it'll play the result that more closely matches with the search. This is why issues like this one could happen.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’ll ensure your sentiment is passed on to the right people.

Hope this helps. Take care 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

Thanks for the reply.

I restarted everything with no improvement, so I will contact Amazon customer support.

Suggested posts