Plan

Free

Country

Australia

Device

Samsung S7 - Denon AVR-x1000

Operating System

Android 8.0

I have recently updated firmware on my Denon AVR-X1000 receiver hoping to be able to use Spotify Connect as I have heard that it will be available for Spotify Free users. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed to see that Connect is still available only for Premium Users.

It is very frustrating that my partner can listen to Spotify via Airplay using her Iphone without additional cost and Android users are still forced to go with premium. 

Please let me know if this is correct or if I'm doing something wrong? 

My Denon is visible to Spotify on Android device, but it's dimmed as "Premium Users Only" as per the attached screen shot. 

Screenshot_20190420-002131_Spotify.jpg

1 Reply

I am facing the same issue: Spotify Connect was working with my Denon X4700H until yesterday, but since today, it is listed with the remark "Premium users only" in both Android and PC/Windows apps despite the X4700H being explicitly advertised as supporting Spotify Connect even with free accounts (see https://manuals.denon.com/AVCX4700H/EU/EN/SXQWSYnpjwflgv.php and also Spotify's own webpage). I can still stream on the Denon via HEOS from other services, such as TuneIn radio or SoundCloud.

The firmware on the Denon is up-to-date and I have already reinstalled the app on my phone.

Update: Somehow I temporarily fixed the issue by forceful logging out all devices from my account page and logging in again. No idea why, but it worked... until I played another song from another streaming service using the HEOS app. Then Spotify would AGAIN refuse playback on the Denon AVR, listing it again as requiring a premium subscription. So it seems that streaming from somewhere else will leave the Spotify Connect component in the AVR or on Spotify's side itself in some confused state, preventing Spotify Connect from recognizing the AVR as a supported device under a free subscription. What's going on there? Or is this "intended" behavior??

Suggested posts