Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Does Spotify use offline files automatically while connected to the Internet?

Does Spotify use offline files automatically while connected to the Internet?

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Operating System

Android 8.1

My Question or Issue

Hello,

I would like to know if Spotify checks if there is offline music available locally on the phone before it streams it from the Internet?

I don't want to generate useless data streaming or every time switch Spotify into Offline mode, so that why I decided to ask you Guys 🙂

Cheers,

Greg

2 Replies

Hey @gkoryga ,

Welcome to the Community!

If Spotify is set to Offline mode while listening to your downloads, no data will be used for notifications and to download more songs (while you're connected to the Internet).

Please check out this article on more info about data usage.

Hope this helps 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi @Petya,

Thank you for your response. From the article I understood that Spotify doesn't check if music is stored locally on a device before stream it. 

So maybe it would be a good feature to implement. Sometimes I use Spotify when I’m abroad driving a car and it would be much safer for me to not switch between online and offline mode. I can’t download all albums into my phone cause I won’t predict which would be the best for me to hear in the moment, so I use playlists, etc. to have access to my “library”. However, it seems to be a waste of sometimes very precious mobile data especially while I use roaming to dedicate it to stream music which is actually already stored locally on my device. Additionally, it’s a pretty waste in general to generate unnecessary data traffic when it’s a matter of an idea to improve application’s code. I believe such improvement would make Spotify even better application for the community 🙂

Suggested posts