Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Don't understand how to get music to save to external SD card

Solved!

Don't understand how to get music to save to external SD card

I followed the directions to reset the cache in spotify and I reloaded the program as the directions said. But the files still appear to be saving to the internal storage. I also tried downloading at "extreme" quality in spotify settings, but that didn't help either.

Anyone know what I can do for this? There are so many old threads about how to fix this problem with so many different versions of Spotify, that I just feel confused reading all of it. Anyone have a workaround for the latest version?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

No, I'm not saying to fill it up your internal storage with Spotify music, if that's what you mean. I'm saying that the first time you try to save a playlist, it will save to the internal storage if thinks there's enough room there, or it will save to the SD card if more room is needed. That's why setting to extreme helps to trigger this; but, you sometimes need to start with a larger playlist to make sure this will happen. Once, Spotify decides on a storage location it's basically stuck with that until you reset the app.

So, what you should do is go into your settings, and choose "delete cache and saved data." Then, uninstall and reinstall the app. Then, log back into the app, go into your settings again, and set the download quality to "extreme." Finally, try downloading a playlist that has quite a few tracks on it. It should start downloading to your SD card. You can later change the setting back if you don't want to stay on extreme quality for future downloads.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I had a little trouble with this the most recent time I reinstalled Spotify. The way I made it work was by using high quality on one of my larger playlists...so it had to download hundreds of tracks. It seems to give priority to internal storage, so no matter what the quality setting is, if there's enough space on internal storage it downloads there. So, my recommendation would just be to try to download a lot of songs at once at extreme quality, whether that means downloading your songs from Your Music or downloading a large playlist...you can always remove them later, but this should get it pointed in the right direction.

dinomightSpotify Star

Thanks for the response. So, are you saying that I should fill up all of my internal storage in order to get Spotify to start saving to my SD card? Then once it starts saving to SD card because it ran out of internal storage, then it will continue to save to SD and I can delete my playlists and free up internal storage? That doesn't seem to work... Right now there is nothing on my SD card and I'm getting notifications that my storage space is running out. One of the playlists that I set up to download to my phone still hasn't synced even though I supposedly downloaded it yesterday...

I feel confused. X-(

Marked as solution

No, I'm not saying to fill it up your internal storage with Spotify music, if that's what you mean. I'm saying that the first time you try to save a playlist, it will save to the internal storage if thinks there's enough room there, or it will save to the SD card if more room is needed. That's why setting to extreme helps to trigger this; but, you sometimes need to start with a larger playlist to make sure this will happen. Once, Spotify decides on a storage location it's basically stuck with that until you reset the app.

So, what you should do is go into your settings, and choose "delete cache and saved data." Then, uninstall and reinstall the app. Then, log back into the app, go into your settings again, and set the download quality to "extreme." Finally, try downloading a playlist that has quite a few tracks on it. It should start downloading to your SD card. You can later change the setting back if you don't want to stay on extreme quality for future downloads.

dinomightSpotify Star

Yes, that worked!! Thanks so much for spelling it out for me so clearly. 🙂

No problem, I'm glad that fixed it for you!

dinomightSpotify Star

Suggested posts