Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloaded Available Offline songs "undownloaded" and greyed out

Downloaded Available Offline songs "undownloaded" and greyed out

I have 1670 songs in a playlist (the old favourites-playlist) and I've been having a problem where most of the songs go from being downloaded and available to greyed out and unavailable for no reason.

I first make them available offline, wait until they are all downloaded over wifi and then I go offline. The songs are all there for a few hours but then suddenly most of them are gone and when I go online again spotify wants to download bout 1100 songs, that are already downloaded... 

I cleared cache and data. 

I uninstalled the app. 

Reinstalled. 

Downloaded all songs, all of them were downloaded and had the green arrow. 

Went offline, the songs were still there. 

Restarted the phone, the songs were still there. 

Next time I checked, a few hours later, about 1100 songs were greyed out again... I had done nothing with the phone, it just happens. 

Xperia Z3 Compact. 

Spotify version 3.1.0.1117 (it's been like this with the latest updates, maybe for about 2-3 months? 

Quality: Extreme (and I'm not interested in trying anything below that) 

Keeping the songs on the SD-card, internal memory too small. 

41 Replies

got the same problem. All downloaded offline content suddenly gone!

This is a major issue! What if this happens during a 10hrs flight?

android 5.0.2

spotify 3.1.0.1117

htc one m7

Any resolution for this? This just happened to me. The songs are still on my sd card, but they're greyed out on my Spotify. Is there any way for me to just tell Spotify to use it's own **bleep**ing cache where the songs it downloaded still reside? Does this make any sense??

Latest version of Android, moto G third gen...

Same issue here... and it DID happen to me on a 10 hour flight and then again on a four hour bike ride in japan with no data... any solutions? 

It seems that I do have the same problem with my iPod touch.

Downloaded all my playlists, tested them in the car, checking if the cable-connection installation works. Everything fine!

Yesterday, after about two-three weeks, 1st attempt to enjoy it on the road; Plugged it in again and all the songs are greyed out. But the playlists show the green arrow, which, if I am right, says, that they have been downloaded for offline-use. Well off course they have. Otherwise it would not have worked first.

I can not figure out where the problem is. Offline-Mode is switched on and it says "Spotifiy is actually offline".

I did now contact Spotify and hope for an easy an quick solution...

Quite annoying, honestly...

You do need to log into your Spotify account (i.e. go online) at least once a month to keep your downloaded music. 

Having said that, I don't believe that this is the cause of most people encountering this problem (and it does seem to be very common). I log on at least 3-4.times a week, yet have to re-download tracks every couple of weeks, varying from a few up to (on one ocassion) 1000+ that disappeared overnight.

Note also that the offline mode switch has nothing to do with it. You should actually leave this off. The only function of this to deliberately prevent Spotify connecting if you don't want it to (e.g. you are using your device online for other activities and don't want Spotify using bandwidth downloading queued music).

Summary : this a commonly reported problem and, as usual, Spotify are silent (and so, one assumes, clueless or just don't care).

Hi Andrew

Thanks for superquick reply.

As I am working on my iMac daily, I'am as well daily logged in in Spotify.

So I suppose, it would be the same with my iPod touch. Well, it was for sure no longer than 3 weeks, that I had it switched on and logged in to Spotify. It was when I did the very time consuming download for offline-listening...

If a re-download of the greyed out songs in the playlist (ALL of the about 1'900!!!) would be the only solution, this would of course not be acceptable at all!!! Really not!

Yes, the offline-switch on my iPod is always, exactly to avoid unwanted connection.

Not really a good "forcast" to read.... I think the thousands or millions of Premium users who pay every month their fee, should deserve a customerfriendly treatment, especially if a problem is that common as this one as it seems and not just something cosmetic...

Puhhhh....

Has this been resolved or has anyone heard back from Spotify on this issue?? It's a big problem for me, as I have limited access to internet at the moment, and I'm paying for this service.  

Like some of the previous posters here, I'm a Premium user who downloaded hundreds of songs for offline use on my iPod Touch. This was recently, in the last two weeks. And now literally every track is greyed out. This has happened twice in the last month. The playlists and albums are still all marked as "Available Offline" but the tracks are all greyed out, and when I try to play them, Spotify gives me a popup that says "Song Unavailable - This song is not downloaded. Do you want to go back online?" There's no warning about when the tracks will stop working offline, and it's happened to me WAY sooner than 30 days twice in the past month. 

Any word on how to fix this???

Still "Waiting to Download" on multiple Android devices. No fix in site. Problem has not been fixed in over a month now. I think Spotify will not care till everyone cancels their monthly service.

Hi is there sth. new about this topic? 'cos i ve the same issue. After last note 4 update.

This issue is still occurring for many people... I have a 128 GB SD card on my LG G3 where I store my offline playlist. Three times I have lost all of my downloaded music from multiple playlist. The strangest thing is that when using a file manager, all of the songs (randomly named files but correct space usage) seem to be on the device? I have seen a few post but no solutions. Any ideas? I have already wiped the cache and also attempted to reinstall Spotify.

I've just listen music while sleeping and when i'm wake up all my songs gone

Cache cleaners such as 'Clean Master' are known to clean the Spotify cache. Please ensure you add the Spotify folder '/ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music' to any whitelist/ignore list if possible.
You may have a task, process or battery manager installed; these can interfere with the running process Spotify uses. A lot of task killers (and Android's own) are more agressive when the screen is off or an application is running in the background for an extended period. Try seeing if you can add Spotify to it's ignore list.

Finally, there seems to be an issue with encrypted external SD cards as discussed here.

It hppened once for me. Everything was gone, without reason.

No I don't use Cleaners because I know that are useless. It is a problem of your app.

No cleaners here! I am running a stock ROM and even though the offline files are greyed out, they are definitely still in the folder. Spotify is not seeing them for some reason. 

I'm having the same problem as of this week. I sit at home on wi-fi and let everything download, I go offline, and the next day when I try to listen to music in the car it says "You are currently offline. Please connect to continue" or something along those lines. And instead of the toggle that used to say "Available offline" it now says "Downloading". Quite frustrating because I'm paying for this service.

If you are using an external SD card for spotify storage, the next time your downloads disappear, switch over to internal storage in spotify options. Download some music and see how it goes for a while.

If that fixes the problem, reformat your SD card from the android storage settings as external storage and do not encrypt the card. Now go to spotify settings and change the storage option to external SD card. Spotify should move the cache, including any downloads to SD.

If your music again becomes undownloaded, I'd try using another SD card to eliminate a fault with your existing card. Fast, small capacity cards are pretty cheap these days.

Just my suggestions for pinning down what is obviously a pretty annoying issue.

@quasiliterate you're seeing that warning because spotify now opens on the Home screen. Swipe from the left or tap the menu control and select Your Music. You should then have access to your downloads in your library.

I attempted to transfer the music to my internal storage while experiencing the issue. From the file managers point of view and Spotify (Space usage indicator from inside the app), the files transfered over. After the transfer to internal storage, the files were still greyed out.

My SD card is brand new and a higher end card so I doubt that is the issue (my pictures and other things would be missing from the SD card if that were the case and I wouldn't be seeing the Spotify files in the file manager).

Is there some sort of authentication issue that could be causing this? My account name comes up with a number (using Facebook as authentication) when I am in offline mode and logged in. 

I am definitely not alone with this issue as you can see from all of the recent comments coming through.

Note to all having this issue: Be sure to go to the original post and click the  ME TOO button where it says "## people had this problem"

The number is normal when offline as the app can't get your username or facebook name from the servers. Can you just confirm that the greyed out tracks are spotify content and not synced local files @LCrossley ?

Try deleting the cache and data from spotify settings - you'll need to log in again - then try downloading some music to internal storage and let's see how it goes. I know there are a few folk reporting problems with downloaded music 😞

I've try it. Not working

Suggested posts