Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloaded music will not play.

Downloaded music will not play.

Hi, PLEASE HELP!!!

I am having a weird issue were only the first song from every downloaded playlist will play in offline mode. When downloading to my mobile device (android 4.2.2 ) the download status bar takes a long time for the first song and then rips through the rest e.g. 1 second per song. Green arrow shows downloaded but songs will not play. When I attempt to play the downloaded songs the progress bar moves but no sounds and the song starts again when you try and fast forward song.

I have performed multiple clean installs and cache clearing with no change in the outcome. I am running the latest spotify . My account is premium but still within the 30day free trial (if that is making a difference???). I have over a gig of free space for music and have tried differenct music quality settings. Frustrating to say the least when the only reason I went with premium was to use Spotify on my mobile when in no service zones.

Thanks

9 Replies

Would you be able to try all of the troubleshooting steps and fill in the support template in this topic?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

No new downloaded songs have sound. Time bar moves/counts but  when you try to fast forward  the song it skips back to the start again. When downloading my playlists the completion bar shows the songs being downloaded very quickly(About 1-2seconds per song which is too fast to be legitimate) but none will play.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

1. First I did this – Upgraded to Premium,  downloaded songs initially were operating properly.

2. Then I did that – Connected my second HTC One XL (I have one personal, one work) and now can’t download songs to either. Now no new downloaded songs have sound. Time bar moves/counts but when you try to fast forward  the song it skips back to the start again. When downloading my playlists the songs show the green arrow as being completely downloaded but the completion bar shows the songs being downloaded very quickly(About 1-2seconds per song which is too fast to be legitimate) but none will play.

3. I also did this – Tried the troubleshooting guide. Deleted Data,Cache, phone off, phone on, reinstall from Play Store on both phones but still no change. Logged in on one phone only but still no downloads and now I have none of the original working downloaded songs on my first phone.  Tried in both 3g and WiFi download mode.

4. then this- Feeling very disappointed with the Premium Account.

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen

When you download a song it should play with sound and be able to fast forward offline. 

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

HTC One XL

Device’s Operating System

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

1 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

16 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

... GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

Telstra

My username

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No

Are you downloading spotify music or local files? Can you just confirm that you are following the exact steps in the relevant FAQ?

Hi jwylot, thanks for the reply. I am downloading spotify music only and yes I followed the instructions multiple times. The only variation is that after uninstalling spotify app there is no com.spotify folder in the file explorer.

Could we eliminate the external SD card for the moment? Please uninstall spotify, remove the card then redownload and install spotify and try to download a playlist. Does that work?

Just download first song successfully in weeks. Reinstalled, Turned off Wi-Fi and turned on 3g downloading. Working! I will investigate the Wi-Fi for possible problems. So frustrating that spotify was saying the songs we downloaded when they were obviously not.

Ah. If streaming over wifi is problematic too, it could be some security setting in the router?

Streaming works fine but downloads do not.

This may be another one. Try clearing the cache and selecting extreme quality then re download the playlist

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts