Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading music to external SD card, another one...

Solved!

Downloading music to external SD card, another one...

I've done the re-installing, I've done the clean re-installing, I've done the re-installing with the SD card out then putting it back in and moving files around, and nothing seems to work.

I've got a Huawei y300 with Android 4.1.1, the very newest version of Spotify, a 32gb SD card that is literally empty until I start to download and I can't get it to download more than a quarter of my songs without saying that there's no space. I've tried going back to my old card which had the songs downloaded (and still should) but it still doesn't want to sync. 

Is there ANYTHING I can do to download my playlists? And when will Spotify work around this as, from the posts I've been reading, this has been going on for a long time...

75 Replies

In the settings, under 'Other'; there is a section in the latest version called 'Storage' ... this allows you to select the SD card as your preferred storage device. I first tried it, it said it was copying the data but crapped out. I reset Spotify and all its cache, logged back in ... changed the storage device, then downloaded my playlists. That's how I got it working.

In the settings, under 'Other'; there is a section in the latest version called 'Storage' ... this allows you to select the SD card as your preferred storage device. I first tried it, it said it was copying the data but died. I reset Spotify and all its cache, logged back in ... changed the storage device, then downloaded my playlists. That's how I got it working.

Storage did not appear in settings (Moto E 2nd gen) so I tried the fix from the start of this thread. Didn't work first time but did second time. Now got over 10GB of music on SD card. Persevere and follow steps exactly.

Solution works on Moto E (2nd gen) but I had to try it twice. I was more careful to follow all the exact steps second time round and now have about a third of my SD card full of downloaded playlists. Excellent solution.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Cheers!

I have an SD Card formatted as Internal in a rooted Marmashmallow (Galaxy S4 Mini, using the ROM Ressurection Remix). I've already clean installed Spotify dozens and dozens of times, always cleaning up the cache via Spotify first, then unnistalling, then deleting any remaining files, then removing the offline devices at my account, then resetting, then reinstalling, then setting the downlaod quality as Extreme, then resetting (seriously), and then trying to download my files. Even though my SD has way more space then my internal, spotify just can't download the files to the SD Card... this is seriously dumb. I mean, it'd that hard for spotify staff just let us set a folder where to download cache? darn it... I don't even know what else to try. I've even moved spotify to SD before trying to download, but nothing helped.

Hey @mateus_so have you read this post which explains the issues with adoptable storage?

Ok, now I've read it hahaha I'm sorry. Still, I figured out it should be something related to that, that's why I mentioned the user should be able himself to select a folder to download the cache... Well, anyway, there's nothing to do about it now, right? I'd have to format the SD and not adopt it...

The solution works for months on end but it was switched off by trying to download Facebook's Messegner App and recently I had to turn my phone on and off two or three times on the same day. The downloaded green icon disappeared against all my downloaded playlists. The SD card was still full of the downloaded playlists but they were not accessible. So I have repeated the process and it still works. You just have to be patient dowloading the playlists for what is now the third time in six months, as they take a while on extreme quality.

If you clear data wont that delete all your music.

Hi there, you'll have to do that but your not deleting anything from
Spotify, you'll just have to re-download your playlists to your storage
device.

Found this thread from 2014. It's now 2017 and I'm a little annoyed that I still needed your workaround to solve this exact same problem

This issue has been resolved by Spotify, you're now able to select where to store the music. Make sure you're running the latest version of android and spotify app. 

Please see images below 

anonymous photo sharing

It's a shame but at least there is a fix. Glad I could still help.

Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately it wont work, have no
storage options in settings, could be because i dont have premium.

Correct! you have to have the paid version of Spotify music to download music offline. Free version does not allow you to save music. 

Suggested posts