Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading songs in background slows the App completely down

Downloading songs in background slows the App completely down

Hello,
I'm really tired of this problem, I already send some emails to Spotify and posted some reviews in the Google play store, but there was no reaction.
This bothers me so much that a already thought of ending my premium membership.

Simply said: I want to hear music, but I can't.
When I start the App, it automatically starts downloading tracks of recently updated playlists. I always need to wait until the downloads are finished, so I can search for tracks. The connection to my AV-Receiver (Denon AVR-1200X) always breaks down. It takes a long time until playlists are loaded or even if I want to skip a song. Everything is slow.
I'm a premium member since Spotify started in Germany. Since then I already had this problem with several phones. I pay for using this nearly useless app, and I'm getting really angry that Spotify is not able to solve this problem. No, they better put some more useless futures into this app to slow it down more and more.

I just want attention for this problem, and I hope something will happen. Everybody wants a running app...

PS: im sorry, if my English isn't as good, as you expected 😉

10 Replies

I've found another bug. Currently I'm streaming on my AV-Receiver, controlling Spotify with my android app. 

When I want to skip a track it often starts the next track and jumps back to the track that was playing.

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

This guide is not a permanent fix of my problem. I actually don't think it will help in any way.
If songs get downloaded, they block all other connections in Spotify.
I'm using Spotify many years already, I wiped my phone(s) many times, and Spotify always had the same problem.
It can't be so hard to put a priority list into the App, huh?
Searching/Streaming Titles > Downloading titles
Or at least develop a stable app. Take a look at soundcloud.

Hi. Can you confirm the device you are using, the connection you are on (wifi/mobile data) and your WiFi speed of applicable?

I am not experiencing the same myself. Are you also able to test with a family or friends wifi as it could be your router/ISP that's limiting the bandwidth.

Android Troubleshooting:

By the way, I love your idea of the app prioritising streaming over downloading. Have you seen if someone has posted this in the Ideas section? If not; you might want to do it.

Android Troubleshooting:

I'm using a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, before I had a Sony Xperia Z. The problem was in both devices.
I'm only using WiFi for downloading.
Download Speed: 14.33Maps
Upload Speed: 1.11Maps

It might not be the Internet connection.

Thanks, I'll post my idea

Can you run a scan (chkdsk) on your sd card using a pc? The continual need to download Playlists may lie with a faulty sd card.

Android Troubleshooting:

I subsribed to some playlists, thats why Spotify always downloads some titles.

The SD-Card is ok. No errors found, the read and writing speed is also ok. I think its spotify's fault..

I've been experiencing the same issue for the last 3 or 4 years but really only noticed as the number of playlists I subscribe to increased. LG G6 and now LG G8 ThinQ. It is annoying that I have to wait close to a minute for each button press to be registered while songs are being downloaded when I first open the app until the songs are all downloaded.

Hey @dan956,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

If you've enabled Download for a large number of playlists this could significantly slow the app down.

Since this has been going on for several years on a few of your device, there might be an issue with your account.

Can you try asking a fiend/family member to log in with their account on your phone, so that you can test if you get the same slow-down?

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts