Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fire TV - UK user with Premium Subscription - Spotify Connect not working

Solved!

Fire TV - UK user with Premium Subscription - Spotify Connect not working

Hi,

I have just installed a Fire TV in my living room and installed Spotify Connect from Amazon Appstore. When I open the App on the Fire TV neither my iPad Air or iPhone 6 can see the Fire TV. Both are running iOS 8.1 and have latest Spotify iOS Apps. They CAN use Spotify Connect to see each other and stream music to each other, just not the TV.

1. Yes, I am a Premium subscriber (UK).
2. I have tried removing devices from the Spotify account page. It didn't help.
3. Yes, all devices are wirelessly connected to the same network.

Any ideas? My only thought is that this is still a US only feature, but I have no idea how to confirm that or why it should be the case.

Michael Taylor

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ok, so the issue is to do with Wi-Fi and the Fire TV. After using an Ethernet cable, everything works as expected.

I have tried both radio channels, DMZ, fixed IP for the Fire TV - nothing works. Wired, works first time. Bear in mind that all other devices can Spotify Connect to each other over Wi-Fi, so this is really odd.

For now it looks like I'm going to have to get an extra-long Ethernet cable and hope this gets fixed at some point. Hope this helps someone else!

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Hi. Spotify connect is not available for the fire tv, hence why you can control your other ios devices but not the fire. You can go to www.spotify.com/connect for information about what devices are compatible

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I really hate forums. There's always someone trying to get their reply rate up for some meaningless title like 'Rock Star'.

Perhaps you should check your facts?

1. There is a huge Spotify logo on the Fire TV box.
2. The only Spotify Amazon Appstore App only supports Spotify Connect when you run it - it does not have its own UI.
3. Spotify have announced it a number of times including this:

https://news.spotify.com/us/2014/09/15/enjoy-millions-of-songs-on-your-amazon-fire-tv-with-spotify-c...

Oh and the page you linked has a big Amazon logo at the bottom.

Now that we have established that, has anyone got a useful comment to add like how I get it working? (I.e. What I asked for)

Thanks

My sincerest apologies. Looks like you're right, sorry i don't have fire tv so didn't realise.

Suggest you contact Spotify support to see if they know why it's not working for you.

Android Troubleshooting:

No problem. Although in future it's probably best not to reply if you don't have the device in question and / or haven't read about the requested feature! 🙂

Anyway, I have sent Spotify a support request - no response yet. I tried a Nexus 5 and that can't see the Fire TV either so it doesn't appear to be iOS 8.1. Is no one else having this issue?

It looks like people on Amazon are having the same issues:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00N1XIY5Q/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Anyone?

I am having the same problem, I am also premium Spotify user and my iPad or Andriod device fails to connect to the Fire TV looks like no one tested it in the uk before launching. Any suggestions out there would be appreciated.

I am in contact with someone in Spotify support.

His first suggestion was to make sure multicast was enabled on the router. I have a Linksys WRT1900AC, and it already seems to be enabled (all I can do is filter it), and it also doesn't explain why the iPhone can see the iPad work either. I will post here if I get a solution.

Hi,

Like a lot of people here I had issues with the Connect app, however I spotted that the Fire was using the 5GHz band of my WiFi connection, whereas the items trying to control it were using 2.4. When I disabled the 5GHz band it worked perfectly every time.

Yeah, I had that thought. All my devices are on the 5GHz channel. I guess its worth trying 2.4GHz on both, but as long as they're the same it should be fine. Whatever the protocol is it shouldn't matter as long as the same network/subnet etc. Worth a try though.

I suspected it wouldn't help but I tried both the Fire TV and iPad on 2.4GHz - no luck. 😞

What type/brand of routers are you guys using?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Linksys WRT1900AC

Ok, so Spotify support seems to have stopped responding to my emails now. The list email I got said:

"Could you please double-check if you are signed in on your FireTV to the same account as your other devices?"

Please can someone confirm that there is no way to "sign in" on a Fire TV? As far as I can see its just a dumb Spotify Connect casting App that works in a similar way to AirPlay - the device broadcasts its existance on the network and other devices pick that up.

If there is somwhere to "sign in" then please let me know, but I have looked everywhere, uninstalled and re-installed etc.

Otherwise, if you can't do this then this is pretty uninformed advice. Very frustrating and poor support experience overall.

Can you confirm your case number and I'll try and get your case escalated.

Android Troubleshooting:

It would be good if you could: [ ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0kRPuQ:ref ]

Thanks,

Done!

Android Troubleshooting:

Well no one responded over 48 hours after this:

Hi Mike, 

Could you please double-check if you are signed in on your FireTV to the same account as your other devices? 

We look forward hearing back from you soon.

Best wishes,

<redacted>

Advisor - Spotify - Cambridge - UK ♫♫

There is nowhere to sign in on the Fire TV!

Not knowing how to solve the problem is one thing (and acceptible), total ignorance of follow-up emails or even acknowlegding and saying "working on it" is completely frustrating. Someone at Spotify wrote this app, it shouldn't be so hard to get support for it! There isn't even a way of escalating.

Seriously considering trying Google Play or something similar at the moment. Sure it won't work on the Fire TV, but I resent paying for a service where my valid concerns/questions are seemingly ignored.

Hi there, sorry about that. I did escalate and was advised someone was looing into it.

I'll give it another chase now for you!

Android Troubleshooting:

Hi @Tyridan 

I can see one of our agents responded to you earlier today and you've since replied.

They'll be back in contact soon to get this sorted! 

___

New to the Community? Check out the Community newbie tips

Did I solve your problem? Click 'Accept As Solution' to help others find the answer!

Need Spotify help on Twitter? Head to @SpotifyCares

Just downloaded the desktop beta version on to my PC that's not working either suggests maybe this is a Spotify issue rather than FireTv one,

Suggested posts