Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Friends feature on Android app is a joke

Friends feature on Android app is a joke

It's annoying that there's no way for people who don't log in through facebook to add friends on the Android app.

I know a lot of people who only use the app, and not the desktop client.

Despite this, I followed the online comments for adding friends using spotify:user:USERNAME, and managed to get me and a friend both following each other, so that we can share music in the desktop client / web app.

However, still nothing shows up under friends on the android app and when selecting share -> Spotify friends, the send button is disabled, regardless of what username you type in. Logging in and out has no effect.

I love spotify, but it's stuff like this that makes me want to switch to another service and makes me hesitant to recommend spotify to friends.

I don't want to offend anyone, but the effort put into the Android app seems minimal, which is disappointing for £10 a month.

4 Replies

I have this problem too, can only share from desktop app. I know another guy with similar problems on the iphone. What we have in common is that we haven't connected spotify to facebook. I am not going to create a Facebook account to resolve this problem though.

Spotify please fix this, it did work in a pretty recent version, possibly even the last one.

Got the new version today (0.7.4.608.g206da179) but the problem persists, Restarting the phone does not help.

I suppose the "To:"  textbox tokenizer searches in a datasource that used to be populated with friends from the internal spotify account. Currently I see three possible scenarios:

1. The API for retrieving internal account friends has changed and the android app team failed to follow this.

2. The textbox accidentally uses the fb friend list as data source because of some typo.

3. Someone secretly working for fb has out of evil removed the code that populates it to force fb upon defenseless people.

Either of these causes would result in an empty source, and make it impossible to add recipients and thus enable the send button.

Ya I haven't had any luck with it either.

Another, off topic issue I have with the android app is there doesn't seem to be any way to specify external sd card for storage.

The fix I found online seems to be installing an older version where this was available and then installing later version after switching.

This seems ridiculous to me.

I do like spotify, but I'm looking into some other options at the moment, such as google music / deezer. Maybe they have bigger issues than spotify, but only one way to find out.

Spotify will automatically use the external SD card for storage of the music cache as long as it has more free space than the internal SD card. If you already have spotify installed, you may need to take the following steps.

• Uninstall the spotify app
  • Search for and delete any folder called com.spotify.mobile.android.ui which is usually located in \Phone\Android\data\ (or in the folder you chose on your SD card)
  • Download and install spotify

Suggested posts