Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Help - Maximum playtime for connect

Solved!

Help - Maximum playtime for connect

Hello,

Is there a timeout set for playback via connect? I have a 100 track playlist set to repeat on a Tesco Hudl, I am using connect to playback via a music system. If I leave this playlist playing over night then by morning it has stopped. Does anyone know if there is a fixed limit for continuous playback via connect? I think you have to have a premium account to use connect but just to be explicit I am using a premium account.

Kind regards

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there,

I suspect what has happened is Android has stopped the Spotify process on your tablet as part of it's sleep process handling. As such your Hudle is no longer connected to the Connect Server and so your playing device (Stereo) is no longer receiving an instruction to play.

If you keep your tablet plugged in overnight I would recommend trying the 'Stay Awake' setting in 'Developer Options' so that the screen doesn't turn off putting the tablet into sleep mode where it's more aggressive on process handling. Maybe put stay awake on and use some form of clock app to at least darken the screen so it's not so bright ... it also makes it into a cool alarm clock!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Was your account logged into from anywhere else during your playback time? If so, that could have paused your playback.
Keep the party going! Please accept solutions if they helped with your question! I am not an official spotify representative, just another user trying to help out. 🙂

Good idea! sadly the account wasn't touched by another device so it must be something else.

When did you notice this as an issue? Meaning, have you done that before and had no problems?
Keep the party going! Please accept solutions if they helped with your question! I am not an official spotify representative, just another user trying to help out. 🙂

So far i have tried to leave a playlist playing on repeat 3 times and every time by morning it has stopped playing. The playback is paused in the middle of a song rather than at the end of the playlist. So I am not sure if it is connectivity issues or a fixed timeout for playback via connect. I did check the router and that indicates that the devices have been connected for days so i am wondering if its more to do with a fixed playback timeout

Marked as solution

Hi there,

I suspect what has happened is Android has stopped the Spotify process on your tablet as part of it's sleep process handling. As such your Hudle is no longer connected to the Connect Server and so your playing device (Stereo) is no longer receiving an instruction to play.

If you keep your tablet plugged in overnight I would recommend trying the 'Stay Awake' setting in 'Developer Options' so that the screen doesn't turn off putting the tablet into sleep mode where it's more aggressive on process handling. Maybe put stay awake on and use some form of clock app to at least darken the screen so it's not so bright ... it also makes it into a cool alarm clock!

Android Troubleshooting:

That is a good idea, i will try that tonight.

Thanks that fixed it! Does that mean Spotify is using an activity rather than a service to connect?

Glad it worked. It's using a service, similar to how Chromecast works whereby the device will connect to the receiver and give the command t fetch the music from the main server. The 2 devices receiver & controller will perform regular checks for updates; hence why I believe the service had been closed by Android and therefore your music was being stopped.

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts