Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Device

Google Pixel/Samsung Galaxy Watch Active

Operating System

Android P

My Question or Issue

I'm experiencing high battery usage from the Spotify app when connected to my Galaxy watch Active in remote playback mode, even when no music is playing from the phone. Android battery usage stats show 35% battery consumed by the Spotify app. In comparison, the Samsung health app is also running in the background at all times and connected to the watch but uses only 1-2% battery.

I understand that the watch always being connected to my phone via Bluetooth will have some effect on battery life, but the Spotify app appears to be misbehaving as it's consuming close to half of my phone's battery without me even playing music.

Please let me know if others have experienced this behaviour and if a fix exists.

10 Replies

Re: High battery drain when connected to Galaxy Watch Active

SlayNayNay

Also having a similar issue since the 2.2.2 update on my Galaxy Watch, very high battery usage even when Spotify is not in use, only fix is to restart the watch but as soon as you open Spotify on the watch is drains battery very quickly.

dominic221
Casual Listener

Any input from Spotify devs? I'm still experiencing the issue and the only workaround is to force-close spotify when I'm finished listening to music, then open the spotify app again when I'd like to control playback from my watch. Major PITA.

RasmusR
Visitor

I think I solved this issue by changing the playback from standalone to remote in settings.

This means that in remote mode you are using watch as a remote controller only and if you are in standalaone mode it's basically individual playback device.

All in all I think this is a bug and need to be fixed as fast as possible, because this goes to "quality of life"-category, and this impacts heavily on smart watch usage. Sadly this is the "fix" for now.

Neonym
Regular

I am experiencing hight battery drain even when using spotify in remote mode. Spotify app for Galaxy watch is full of bugs all the time of its existence. (for example, random order in album list, alphabetical order of songs instead of album original, etc.)

Segrey
Casual Listener

Having the same issue. After the night it says Spotify was in active use for 10 hours out of the last 10, the battery went from 100% to 83%, even though nothing else should've made it drop so much. 

SpotMasa
Visitor

Same issue, the standalone to remote is not possible when using LTE mode in Galaxy Watch.
Spotify is consuming lots of energy although play is stopped. I can't find any way to stop Spotify app. This is serious flaw, which should be corrected As Soon As Possible.

WarBorg
Visitor

same problem here on my pixel 3 running Android 10

Problem is Spotify is draining battery like crazy on both phone and watch, even after I uninstalled the watch app, the phone app was still consuming battery, I had to reinstall the app on the phone to bring it back to normal 

gwilliams1205

I just picked up a Galaxy Watch 42mm and primarily for the ability to use spotify without my phone. But after my first workout with it this morning. I noticed spotify used upwards of 30% battery in under an hour. I was using it to stream music, but that seems a little excessive. I hope there is a fix coming soon.. any spotify reps want to chime in? Seems like this has been going on for a little while.

shellprompt
Casual Listener

This is also happening on other Galaxy watches.  It seems to be caused by the spotify connect service running in the background constantly after the app is first started.  You can see this to be the case, as in other spotify apps (desktop for example) you can see that the watch device is available for playback.  If you close all apps, the service still runs.  As the other user mentioned, the only way to resolve the service running in the background is to reboot the watch after use which is obviously less than optimal.

SUGGESTED POSTS