Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I downgrade?

Solved!

How can I downgrade?

Since the new Android app is crap I need to downgrade to the previous version which actually works. How can I do that?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is8edr5rwjl22z7/SpotifyAndroid.apk

There's an older version that has screen orientation / rotation when you plug your device to a dock for example.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Let me check.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9bwd3qqx2x286h/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Version is: 0.4.12.180

The other one was 0.4.12.153 and had few bugs.

That link that I provided is the newer one and supports screen rotation + SD card option.

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Marked as solution

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is8edr5rwjl22z7/SpotifyAndroid.apk

There's an older version that has screen orientation / rotation when you plug your device to a dock for example.

Will this version allow you to set the SD Card location?

Marked as solution

Let me check.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9bwd3qqx2x286h/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Version is: 0.4.12.180

The other one was 0.4.12.153 and had few bugs.

That link that I provided is the newer one and supports screen rotation + SD card option.

Excellent. Thanks. No point in having a 32Gb card and not being able to use it ๐Ÿ™‚

No Problems - Glad to help - Agree - Big SD card -> Why not keep it sync'd and in usage ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you know if 4.12.180 is the very last version before the update a few days ago? I want whatever that one is back.

I'm not 100% sure since there is no version history available like many other software providers have.

excellent, thanks.

there are some nice features with the new app, including the UI and particularly the ability to pause/play and fwd/back from the lock screen. but losing the local files and ability to story on the SD card was a deal breaker for me.

i'll hold out with the old app until this feature is restored.

@ghileman

If you install the older version that neo-x has provided, you can set the storage location then upgrade to the latest version via the app store.

Installing then upgrading retains the storage location and allows everything to be stored where you want it. i.e. I now have almost 30Gb of playlists on my external SD Card on my Galaxy SII

If you install straight from the latest version you can't do this. It's a slight inconvenience, but an easy workaround

However you still have the problem of an app that is a BATTERY DRAINER. You cannot sign off and my battery plummetted. People are also having all sorts of problems with playing music as well.

Stick to the old app and save yourself a headache.

@Brainfish

thanks for the tip. but how would i access my local files on the SD card from within the new app? there is no local file library to view unlike the older version of the app, right?

So I can confirm that this is definitely an issue. The issue is with any phone where the internal storage IS an SD Card. Allow me to explain:

I used to have a T-Mobile G2. The internal memory in that phone is treated as RAM/ROM. My SD Card there was located in /mnt/sdcard/ or as just /sdcard/. I just lost it over July 4th and had to buy a new phone, so I switched to a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III. The GS3 has 16GB internal memory, but that 16GB is separate from the RAM/ROM because it's an internal SD Card. THAT memory is located in the phone as: /mnt/sdcard/ OR as /sdcard/. However, the expandable card is *actually* located in /mnt/extSdCard/.

So it's completely understandable how the Spotify app would assume that a location listed as "/mnt/sdcard/" would be our own expandable SD Card, but it's not correct. This explains why my G2 never had this issue.

I can also confirm that after a clean wipe of everything related to Spotify, I was able to downgrade, set the location of the sdcard (which I set to /mnt/extSdCard/SpotifyCache/). I then synced my smallest playlist to it. Then I upgraded through the market to the new version and then continued caching the rest of my playlists. Voila.

I just want to make sure that last post gets noticed, and also bump up this thread for anyone else looking to downgrade their client.

Link is broken. I found an old version online, but have not been able to test it myself because I finally got my cache working and don't want to risk it. If anyone uses this version and it works, please let us know here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24653439/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui-1.apk

That version is a bit old.

Here's a better version https://www.dropbox.com/s/br5q7kg8qc9xqrf/SpotifyAndroid.apk

this is the stable version before the ICS Beta was released.

Current version definitely has problems.

Couldn't download playlists anymore, Downgraded to this and playlists download perfectly.

@fuzeman wrote:

That version is a bit old.

Here's a better version https://www.dropbox.com/s/br5q7kg8qc9xqrf/SpotifyAndroid.apk

this is the stable version before the ICS Beta was released.

Current version definitely has problems.

Couldn't download playlists anymore, Downgraded to this and playlists download perfectly.

Thanks!

tried this - but even now it still remains in offline mode!

@brazilianx wrote:

tried this - but even now it still remains in offline mode!

Did you try a fresh install? (Un-Install current version then Install this version)

Yes - did that. Same issue occurs  - I am online for a minute or two then it goes offline permanently. Any ideas appreciated - I just want to play my music on my phone like I used to be able to...

UPDATE

I had a think what else might have changed in my setup and I remembered that sync'ing did work initially in the new version. Then Virgin came and upgraded me to the new Netgear SuperHub router to resolve other infrastructural issues. So I went back to my original Netgear Router (NETGEAR WGR614v9) and it is now stable once more and able to sync (at least for the past 30mins and 100 songs sync'ed!!).  So maybe we have an issue with wireless capability on my new router that is causing the online signal to dropoff shortly after connection is made.

I also note that following a deepdive of the wireless settings in the SuperHub I can see that I did not have the Wireless Settings on the recommended auto seek option - and that I had previously set the channel to '11'. However, I only came across this page after I took the SuperHub out of the equation and went back to the old world... so this may also have been influencing things.

Given that I only made these changes to my router config following the downgrade, obviously, I would need to test on the latest version to determine if this was really the root cause or if this scenario specifically relates to the old version.I count myself lucky that I could take a step backwards, but not everyone would be so fortunate.

That said I have reservations about upgrading again since having to re-sync 2500+ songs again isn't something I want to do. To think I have spent 12+ hrs trying to get this working..Plus the inability of the new version to play local tracks would be a step backwards IMHO. Bottom line, the new version looks better but at this point in time I'm going to wait it out...

Suggested posts