Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

Solved!

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

first off thank you for the help if you responded very much appreciated. 

First off, I have a samsung Galaxy S4 and no its not rooted and I really don't want to root it either but I want to move the app spotify to my SD card but it wont let me and its driving me nuts I've been going everywhere for answers but all dead ends. I want to move it and all of the music onto my SD card so I can save room on my internal storage 

please help and thanks 

82 Replies

I've got this problem as well. I have a Spotify premium account and a Moto G 4G. I cannot persuade Spotify to store music cache on the SD card. I've tried all of the advice here. Reformatting the card. Deleting the app. I used a file manager to try to hunt for stray files ( didn't find any). The card is a Sandisk 32gb class 10 ultra bought direct from Amazon (so I assume genuine).

This is already driving me nuts! Why can't there be a simple save cache to SD card option in Spotify?

i just fixed it, storing spotify music on sd card. but i did two things so try both. 1. reinstall spotify and have more storage space on the sd card than on divice. 2. go to MY FILES then ALL FILES then SD MEMORY CARD then settings then ANGI MUSIKKATALOG(\storage\extSdCard\Musikk) then SD MEMORY CARD then OPPRETT MAPPE(make directory) then type musik as the name of the directory then click this directory and then finaly press ANGI HER i øverste høyre gjørne(press the top right corner were it says make here. DONE.  PEACE AND LOVE YOU **bleep**ERS FROM DEOREX

@swanklord226 wrote:

First off, I have a samsung Galaxy S4 and no its not rooted and I really don't want to root it either but I want to move the app spotify to my SD card but it wont let me and its driving me nuts I've been going everywhere for answers but all dead ends. I want to move it and all of the music onto my SD card so I can save room on my internal storage 

please help and thanks 

@swanklord226 wrote:

please help and thanks 

Hi,

I have done all of those things and I set the download setting to extreme but when I tried downloading my spotify playlist online it automatically went into my devises storage as opposed to my SD card storage! 😞

Hi.

I'm so glad I found your message... From this spam attack, almost impossible now to find right questions. Feels like win in lottery now!

Try to reinstall app.

@Ais wrote:

Hi,

I have done all of those things and I set the download setting to extreme but when I tried downloading my spotify playlist online it automatically went into my devises storage as opposed to my SD card storage! 😞

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this. I think what may be happening is once I uninstall spotify
there is more memory on my device then my SD card so I prob need to install
more things on =to my device that I can delete afterwards before
downloading spotify so spotify will automatically go to my SD card when I
download it?

ais

@Ais wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this. I think what may be happening is once I uninstall spotify
there is more memory on my device then my SD card so I prob need to install
more things on =to my device that I can delete afterwards before
downloading spotify so spotify will automatically go to my SD card when I
download it?

ais

Hi, That sounds most probable as the cause. If you have some cache on your SD card try to delete this to free up some memory or transfer some large files (video's/movies etc) off the SD card; install the app; then pop those files back on.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

Hi,

I have a brand new Moto G 4G (2nd generation).

What worked for me is cleaning the cache and selecting a download quality better than normal i.e high or extreme.

If I select normal quality the songs downloads onto internal memory instead of SD card, no matter my SD card has more free space than my phone.

I hope it will help you.

Hi thanks for all the sharing. This works on my Sony Experia Z3 -
Uninstalled Spotify
Restarted phone
Download and install Spotify again
Set ssong download quality to Extreme
Phone had 7 GB free. SD card had 23 GB free
Downloaded my favorite Playlist
The song files cache was saved onto the ad

If Spotify is reading this, please make it easier thanks!

Hey there.

Regular Android Guy here.

To save your Offline music on SD card, this should be higher in capacity than your phone memory. In other words more free space on external memory than internal. If you don't have that, just fullfill your internal memory like with Full HD videos to almost full, then go to Android app settings from Spotify and click Remove everything but app itself. This will re-install your app to external memory even if it is less than internal. After that you can remove your "videos" from Internal memory.

In other cases, it will do that automatically eg. when more free space on external. To get full speed on your card, ensure it is fast, like class 10.

Theres been a lot more comments since we first found a solution.

Please be advised the solution varies per model.

I have a sony xperia z3 compact - Reinstalling spotify with an empty sd card (more free space than internal memory) worked.  Offline music was stored to SD Card.

I also have a Moto G (4g model) - Simply having more free space on sd card doesnt work.  The only method that worked was searching for and deleting spotify entries in the file system.  The method is clearly outlined in posts earlier in this thread.

There other methods which work for other models.  So if you are searching for a solution to this Try

1. Reinstalling with more free space on your SD card

If that doesnt start downloding offline files to you sd card then

2. Read the rest of this thread for other solutions.

Thank you so much, this also worked for my z3... Happy bunny now

Hello , I did reinstalling. Uninstalling and installing . But my HTC device still saves yto phone memory. The problem may be because HTC phone memory is also called "sd card" and the real card is called "external sd card" that how HTC names by deafault. 

I can use some help ! 🙂

Device:

htc one mini 2 

android 4.4.2 

spotify vers.3001124

This was weird.  You can try this tip:

Deleted the app;Then, when 1 was browsing to the files listed to delete, i could not find them.  So I searched for spotify using a file explorer.  Turns out the file paths on my phone are slightly diffeent 

I have a Z3 Compact and experienced similar nightmares and wasted hours of research and tinkering. Premium account, but no downloading of music possible, and bizarre behavior of the app as to it's location on the device vs. the SD card.

I tried all solutions from these forums, including the logout/login, clear cache/data/reinstall, manual moving from Internal to SD storage, and none of it worked. Windows explorer can't even see the com.spotify folder in either the Device or SD storage, really very odd. however, a local File Explorer on the Z3 can see the folders and for whatever reason the folder exists in 2 places. When I "merge" them and clear the cache/data/restart the App info screen says that the actual app is still on the device even if the data/cache is on the SD. The app seems to copy itself back onto the device as soon as one restarts it. 

Needless to say, the premium service is worthless if you can't download to device. Any ideas? 

Couldn't we just gain an option in the app settings, as to where it should store the cache?
This would solve everything.

Guys, you can move spotfy to external sd. The android system must to be unlocked so you can use Link2SD app.

Guys, you can move spotfy to external sd. The android system must to be unlocked so you can use Link2SD app

@Joscpe wrote:
Couldn't we just gain an option in the app settings, as to where it should store the cache?
This would solve everything.

Lets make this a request, we should choose to store wherever we want regardless of space avaliable...

Suggested posts