Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

Solved!

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

first off thank you for the help if you responded very much appreciated. 

First off, I have a samsung Galaxy S4 and no its not rooted and I really don't want to root it either but I want to move the app spotify to my SD card but it wont let me and its driving me nuts I've been going everywhere for answers but all dead ends. I want to move it and all of the music onto my SD card so I can save room on my internal storage 

please help and thanks 

82 Replies

Hi there.

Open your Spotify on Android, go to its settings, click Remove all data w/o app and then if SD card is more space than Internal, the Music Cache will be placed on your external memory. I have 32GB card which is 29GB in real. Please note it is about 7-9 GB per 1,000 songs if you prefer edited versions,

I hope you will have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Jyrziu xd

Just switched from Google music to Spotify. The above methods don't work for as my external is 16gb and internal is 32 . for my own reasons I want my music saved on the external.its quite disappointing and sad that such an obvious feature does not exist.Google play ,I simply go to settings and I can choose storage locations. Aside from this I am enjoying Spotify but I am shocked that this issue exists in 2015...

Exactly the same problem. I have a Z3 Compact with a 128 gb micro sd card...

I gave up on Spotify's reluctance to sort this problem out. I changed to Google Music and have never regretted it. No problems with storing on SD card on Android. Maybe Spotify o ly want customers with iPhones?

I am experiencing the same issue on Moto X Play, 16GB internal with a 64GB external SD card. My internal storage is almost full  because of spotify storing offline content onto it. I have tried reinstalling the app, deleting the cache, but to no avail.

Spotify devs, please add a simple option in the settings to choose where to store media or provide a simple alternative solution.

After all, this is a paid for service and should function as we wish. Thanks and looking forward to a fix soon. 

I am at the same crossroads. I have 1.5gb left internally and nearly 4gb of offline spotify storage. I am having to delete some older songs from playlists and some apps just to free up some space internally. I cannot believe in this day and age, the app wont easily allow you to choose the destination of where you wish to save your offline music.. I love spotify but this is starting to annoy me..

I love it when a plan comes together!!!

Thanks, Charne's method worked for me. But I had to also do a fresh install and delete the data folder from the original location.

Solved in my moto g 2. Opened android settings app, went to Spotify. Cleared the app data. Opened Spotify. Changed download quality to normal. Downloaded a playlist. It's now on the SD card.

doesn't work for HTC One M8 6.0 (Marshmallow)

Hi

I have a particular problem. I can move the cache to the SD card, but when listening to my music, some songs just stop playing, as if I had clicked "pause". And when I clik "Play" the song does not works, so I have to move to the next song.

Can anyone help me please?
Thanks!

I got the same problem, HTC One m8 with plenty more free space on SD card than internal. Use to be able to do this but now I can't again and getting sick of trying to reinstall to get it to work. This to me is The Big Spotify Problem

I wonder if you are having the same problem as me.

I did everything suggested here and Spotify kept coming up as being loaded into the phone's internal memory.

Then I linked the phone to my computer and found that whilst nothing comes up as being saved to the installed card - when I uploaded a lot of my playlists they were all saving to the card even though nothing in the phones settings showed this.

Have a check - it might be doing what you want it to do but it isn't readily obvious.

Dave

You need to be sure you restart the phone when doing the posted steps. I wound up doing it two or three times because I neglected to restart the phone.

Got a fix for M8!

Give Spotify the authorization to write to the EXT SD Card: Settings - Memory - Internal memory - Apps - Spotify - Authorizations - Storage - swipe right. I think it will work.

Do you mean before or after doing the 3 steps? Or inbetween 2 and 3 (before downloading the songs again)?

First, uninstall the app. Then, install it again, give it the necessary authorizations, open and do everything as usual. Hope I helped, let me know.

Jap that´s the solution for me! For others: the authorisation must be:

"Settings - Apps - Spotify - Authorisations - Storage" and this right before starting the app for the first time!

I have a Sony expera z3 I've tryed to do all the above to get my songs from my phone memory to my SD card but I don't seem to be having any luck. Is there another way of doing it? Thankyou

I originally posted solution for Moto 4G on pg 2 of this thread

I now own a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and none of this was necessary, it just worked.

if you are having problems it could be just a case of removing cache and starting again.

See cosmicarmchair solution on pg 3 of this thread

Update the APP, it just got an option to choose where you want to store the data. go to options and in the very botton you will find others and then storage.

Mine is also a Z3 (compact)

Suggested posts