Plan

Premium

Device

Pixel 2 XL 128G

Operating System

Android Pie 9.0

PQ1A.181105.017.A1

My Question or Issue

The in-line controls do not work properly, as reported a long time ago by many users in various forums I've found. It's still not fixed, how? why?

To clarify, the controls work on all other apps. And a single button press works for play/pause. Double-press for next song or triple-press, however, does not work.

It worked on my previous Android device on 8.0 Android just fine.

I can get it to work, if I turn the battery optimization off, but after a while, even after that it stops working, and disabling and enabling the setting did not work anymore.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You should comment in that thread not create a new one. Ongoing Issue threads are to gather info from different users with the same issue. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hello @Xypleth!

When I switched from iPhone to Android I was struggling with this myself. Asked around, created threads and voted in ideas. I couldn't understand why triple click wasn't working.

The answer is that Android actually doesn't have this functionality at all for 3.5mm and USB headsets. Check here for more info.

This means that any music player app that got this feature has some built-in workaround for triple click to skip back.

So basically the easiest way to get this functionality to work is to either download an app to reconfigure the middle button or get a Bluetooth headset with the controls.

Hope this helps 🙂

Oh, that's surprisingly disappointing. But the double click is not working
for me too. I have found a workaround to ask Google Assistant to play next
song, and after that it works... Until it doesn't, again

Since you got Pixel 2 are you using a 3.5mm to USB-C dongle?

I also found an Ongoing Issue here. I suggest posting the required info there as well and keeping an eye out for any updates regarding this.

I am, but the feature works fine on many other 3rd party music apps, including built-in. However, I did find some apps that also didn't work, much like Spotify, I think it's a Software issue for the App.

I chatted with Google Support for 1 hour, and nothing worked that they suggested, obviously. The support is quite weak, for an experienced user.

In the end they suggested that I get in touch, about the issue, at Spotify's side of things.

I still suggest posting in the Ongoing Issue thread that I linked in my previous post and keeping an eye out for updates in that thread.

I can't seem to do that. There is no option to post there. And here it feels like You're the only one who's ever going to see this post... But thanks to You, for being the only person who helps

Hey @Xypleth!

I checked the ongoing issue thread from my mobile and there should be a comment button:Screenshot_20181208-134853__01.jpg

I have the button as for commenting on an already created post, but no way to create a new one.

Marked as solution

You should comment in that thread not create a new one. Ongoing Issue threads are to gather info from different users with the same issue. 

Suggested posts