Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Interaction between Google Smart Lock and Spotify

Interaction between Google Smart Lock and Spotify

Hi everyone

I have a query about the effect of Google Smart Lock on Spotify in the context of having completed a factory reset on my Android phone.  Here is what I have observed:

1: Completed factory reset on Android phone.

2: Set-up phone again after reset, including using existing Google account that was used prior to the factory reset.

3: Installed Spotify from the Google Play Store.

4: At first start of Spotify after installation, it has logged straight back into my account, without any action whatsoever by me.

As I started Spotify for the first time, I notice momentarily a blue box appeared which stated something about "Google Smart Lock", but then disappeared.  I checked my Google account and could see that it had retained my Spotify log-in details from before the phone was factory reset.

Would I therefore be correct in assuming that the Spotify app has simply consulted with the Google account on the phone and therefore logged me into Spotify?  I am aware that this is the purpose of Google Smart Lock, but I was surprised by the way that Spotify had not even asked me for a username.  From other users' experience on this forum, is this expected behaviour?

Part of why I ask this question is to try verify that the factory reset I completed had in practice worked.  Assuming the above behaviour is to be expected, then I am inferring that the reset has worked, as Spotify has simply picked up my log-in details from Google after the factory reset, rather than somehow using residual data that had remained on the phone in the event that the factory reset had now worked.

Any views or observations from other users' experience would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jason

1 Reply

Hey Jason!

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!
A factory reset will definitely clear all data from your phone. The auto-login has most likely occurred due to the Google Smart Lock being enabled.
If you'd rather turn this feature off, you may disable the automatic login by following the steps from this article 🙂
We're here for you if any further questions arise.
Cheers!

@JKMarshall

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts