Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues with Note 8 and Spotify app when pausing playback for a while and resuming use of the app.

Issues with Note 8 and Spotify app when pausing playback for a while and resuming use of the app.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Note 8

Operating System

Oreo (8.0.0)
Spotify App Version
8.4.66.733 armV7 

My Question or Issue

I will encounter some kind of bug that will pop up when the app goes inactive for a while. 

I'll start the app, listen to something for a while, and pause playback. The player controls in my notification bar disappear (not sure if I'm always swiping them away or if they can also time out from inactivity), and when I pull the app back up after a while, playback will often automatically resume but won't trigger the notification bar controls to reappear and if I'm using bluetooth in my vehicles, the song display will stay static to whatever it started playing first when I go to change songs. 

Also, sometimes it seems like Android doesn't realize that music is playing because I'll go to record a Whatsapp voice message and playback won't automatically pause. Because there's no controls in my notification bar, I'm forced to find the app in my recently used apps list and manually pause it from there. 

I do find that if I close the app through the recently used app list and re-launch it, the notification bar comes back just fine and the song display tends to work fine in bluetooth equipped vehicles. 

I have a friend with another galaxy-series phone (not sure the exact model offhand) who seems to be experiencing similar issues and it seems that others are running into a similar glitch as well. ( https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-not-working-correctly-on-my-samsung/td-p/4545561 )

It seemed to work just fine on my old Note 5, but since I upgraded to the 8 approximately 2 months ago, it's been kind of funky. 

5 Replies

Hey @chrisl31, thanks for writing!

Just to check, we'd like to know if you've tried the following steps:

• Remove your offline devices from here.
  • Give Spotify a clean reinstall.
  • Switched your device off/on.
  • Check if the app behaves the same on WiFi and mobile connection.

Giving these a try could bring everything back to normal.

We hope this helps. Have an amazing day 🙂

This error definitely still occurs whether it's on Wifi or mobile connection and I have restarted the phone in the past. I do also occasionally get the 'cannot search while offline' glitch as well, and closing the app from the recently used list and restarting it usually seems to fix it. 

I just cleared my offline devices and will be reinstalling the app, so I'll check back in with it. 

Update: I did all of the steps suggested and the issue is still occuring. 

I don't know if it ceased for a while or if I just wasn't using the app much, but I've had it glitch in the way that was reported below, as well as the app telling me that I'm offline. 

It's happening to me as well and I'm also unable to really pin down when this happens. Didn't reinstall yet - happened for the last few days... 

The playback also stops after a while when the app is not being displayed in the notification area anymore.

Im running Android 8 on Xperia xz2 dual. 

I have the same issue with my Samsung Note 8. I've also tried the reinstallation trick but had no luck. It seems to occur more frequently when I've switching between Spotify and YouTube Red. It seems like the app goes to sleep. I hope it gets sorted out soon as it's frustrating in a first-world kind of way!

Suggested posts