Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files -- Album Art

Solved!

Local Files -- Album Art

Cannot figure this out. I've tried various tag editors, iTunes, various image sizes. No matter what I do, I cannot get embedded album art to work on the mobile side. It works fine on Windows or Ubuntu, but I get the generic album art on Android. Any ideas? What's the trick to this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for your help. It turns out the issue was caused by my username having an ! At the end lol

Made a new one and it's working like a charm.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Bump. Anything? No one else is having this problem?

Bump. Can someone at least reply and let me know if you're having the same issue? 

Sorry, but I have not had this problem since I use iOS. =(

I'll forward this to someone who uses Android and see if they can help you. 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey there,

Try to use this tool http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ and remember to use cover art like 300x300 on those files without cover image in Spotify Android app.

Thanks for the replies!

HPguru, I tried that program per your suggestion in another thread. (I've also used it before--it's quite good. )

Anyway, I still get the generic album art for all local tracks except those that are available on Spotify (in another region).

Music that isn't on Spotify (Beatles, Tool, etc.) is still blank.

I even tried installing iTunes per another suggestion. Same thing.

Is there a specific image format (other than the 300x300 resolution)? What about "cover type" when I'm adding it with mp3tag? What about id3 version?

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but the art DOES appear in the desktop application. 

I don't use Android but how big the album art is should not matter as long as it's square EX: (400x400, 500x500, 600x600)

I've had problems with album art not showing because the file had bad tags. 

Redoing the tags manually has always fixed this for me.

I don't know how differently the Android app handles it from the iOS app, or if it's different at all.

You can try using MP3tag. This is what I use for tags. 

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

There are easy options to import and add tags including album art files.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I had similar problem before.

Make sure you try another size of image like 250x250 and make sure to remove other sizes from ID3. Then make sure Spotify reupload those to your phone eg. you need to delete old and add those with new ID3 information.

Maybe then it works.

I've used album art up to 2000x2000 so it looks good on the iPad in fullscreen. Size should not matter though. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Still nothing 😕

Are you guys sure this is even possible on Android? I feel like I've tried every possible permutation of picture size, tag format, picture description.

Can someone confirm that it actually works on artists that are not recognized at all by Spotify?

Still no luck...

I've even tried it on an old iPhone 3GS to no avail.

Are you guys positive this can be done?

Can you name a local album/artist that works for you? I'm really starting to question whether this is even possible with truly unrecognized music like The Beatles or Tool.

I'm asking because my "local files" work when the album is offered by Spotify (even if it isn't in my region, it still recognizes and overrides my album art). The "Unlink" track setting seems to be ignored on Android. Devotchka's How It End shows up with album art, but I noticed it isn't MY album art. It's just Spotify's, which strangely exists even though the album isn't offered in my region.

Yes, it's possible to show album art for local files on mobile.

My local tracks show the album art that is embedded into the file on both the desktop client and the iOS client.

It's so weird that it won't work for you. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Now Spotify isn't even detecting my phone or tablet. Arrgghhh.

I reinstalled on each one. Why can't local file handling make sense?

Spotify is probably the best other than Zune at handling local files, and it's terrible at that.

Okay, I'm convinced this isn't possible with unlinked tracks.

It's obvious that the Android client (and iOS as well from the sound of it) ignores the Unlink option from the desktop client and just substitutes Spotify's art instead of reading the id3 tag for art.

Can someone cite a single example of an local file that isn't linked? (More specifically, a file that doesn't even give the OPTION for link vs unlink.)

I downloaded mp3s straight from iTunes and Amazon. Same darn thing. No art on mobile.

Adele - Skyfall is not on Spotify and it does not have the link/unlink option.

The album art shows on both my desktop and in iOS.

Are you using the latest version for Android and have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling?

It's a pain, but it might help. (You will have to re download offline playlists)

This is so weird, I've never seen anyone have a problem like this.

I hope we can find a fix to help you out.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Yeah, I've tried reinstalling many times. I'm also seeing the same behavior from the iOS app with the Amazon/iTunes tracks.

Think I'm going to give up on this. I'll continue using Spotify on my desktop, but I'm switching to something else on my Note 2. Honestly, the lack of a library view and SD card support for local files really annoys me, so the album art issue is just an additional pain.

Anyway, thanks for the tips on this.

Alright, you're welcome.

The devs are always working hard on the mobile apps.

Spotify Android devs are working to bring back SD card support:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Bring-back-the-option-to-choose-a-folder-for-downloade...

I have iTunes tracks showing album art fine in the iOS app.

I'm not sure what's causing the problems for you. 

I really want to help you fix the problem, but I  don't know what could be causing this.

I have been helping out on the forum for the past year and I have never seen a problem like this.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Actually, I'm still curious. Do you use Mp3tag? I'd be interested in knowing the id3 tag version/format for the tracks that work. I'd also like to know the album cover type (front cover, other, etc.) Not a big deal if you can't, just curious.

I'd appreciate any additional info. Thanks again for your help.

I'd also add that the Adele song does have the Link/Unlink option for me. (Bought it from iTunes.)

Tested it by manually putting other album art in the tag. Both the iOS and Android apps overrode my Unlink setting and displayed Spotify's version instead of my manually added art (Beatles Abbey Road lol).

I'm on a quest. It would be nice if a developer would take notice and help a guy out...

Oh, I forgot. =(

I have Skyfall imported because it's not on Spotify in the USA but since it's on Spotify in a few countries, it will show the link/unlink option in the desktop client.

I have found a simple trick to get the mobile apps to unlink the tracks.

All you have to do is right click the track in Spotify and click "edit info" and slightly change the title. This will change the title in the embedded MP3 tag. Add an extra word, or put the song title in parenthesis. You have to play around with it and the song will resync onto your phone when your computer and phone are both using the same WiFi network.

I know it's a pain, but it works for me.

Yes, I use the MP3tag program and the version I used for one of the tracks that correctly show album art in the mobile apps:

ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)

Just right click the track in MP3tag and right click and select properties.

The type of tags MP3tag writes by default should work in both Spotify desktop and mobile.

This is what I have in the options for tags which are the default options:

tag.png

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts