NEXT STEP

Local files won't sync with Android Phone

Solved!

Local files won't sync with Android Phone

Hi,

All is well except:

I have a local file on my PC and

I add to a playlist on my PC then

the playlist appears on the phone OK (Android)

the songs appear in the playlist OK

the playlist allows it to be set as offline sync on the phone  BUT

the songs don't sync - at all!?

22 Replies

Same problem! Although, I tried logging out both online and on the PC app and it seemed to work. It's taking forever to download on my phone though. I just tested it and it works while offline as well, so before checking logistics, try logging out and back in on ALL of your devices, the Spotify website AND the app on your computer. 

I just had this issue. It's worked in the past, but then recently, I couldn't get them to download no matter what I did.

However what I did that suddenly made it work: turned mobile data OFF and wifi off and then back on again (whilst leaving mobile data off the whole time).

I had spotify running on the PC and android phone first. The phone showed up in the 'devices' section - that's never been a problem for me.

It's frustrating for me as a developer (though I don't work for spotify!) not knowing how this actually works: does spotify on the desktop actually listen on a port and serve the files itself directly to the android device, or does it actually upload them to some remote server from where the android device then downloads them from?

If the former, is it possible to network analyze what port it's listening on and whether the android device has tried to connect?

If the latter, why do they have to be on the same wifi network?

I have a hypothesis (which relates to its method of working being the former - i.e. spotify desktop listens) - could it be that the android device is trying to connect to a LAN IP address, BUT, it will use whatever method of internet connectivity it can - and if that happens to be GPRS then it obviously can't see your LAN. When android makes a network connection I presume it somewhere deep down (i.e. deeper than the app level, which as far as I know can't 'choose' wifi) has to make the choice of whether to do it on GPRS or WIFI, and if both are available, it will use whatever it thinks is best.

Could it be that with GPRS getting better and better and the prevalence of 4G it is increasingly going for GPRS even when wifi is available, and thus not seeing the LAN IP address it is trying to connect to?

It would be nice to pin down whether this is even vaguely close to the mark. However, to cut a long story short - just TRY switching mobile data OFF and then wifi off and on again. Might just work for you like it just did for me!

I tried that, spotify.exe was already "allowed"

I've done everything

Suggested posts