Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local tracks won't download to my phone.

Local tracks won't download to my phone.

Didn't get any answers in my old thread because of not using the right template. Redoing it!

1. Short summary

Basically my problem is that spotify won't sync my local files (embedded in my offline playlists). Under the device menu on my computer, the playlist are checked. The ones having local files in them are just saying "Pending" and won't start downloading the local tracks.

2. History

2.1 About a year ago I bought a premium subscription for spotify. I added songs to my playlists (including local tracks) and it all worked fine.

2.2. I never changed phone or computer, their software has been updated though.

2.3 About 4 months ago (i think?) spotify started crashing whilst trying to play local files. I assumed it was a bug in the newest updated and didn't pay too much attention to it.

2.4 For some weeks i've been trying to find a solution to this but have not find one yet.

2.5 Then i followed all the steps (three times) in the troubleshooting section. None of it helped.

As said in "2.5" i've tried all the steps without any success. I have also tried redoing playlists and/or adding and deleting the songs again from my desktop spotify. Changed the options to sync over 3G etc.

3. What happened/what i expected to happend

Both of my devices, computer and phone has been restarted whilst doing the troubleshooting.

I expected the phone to start downloading the local files, instead it just says the usual - "the track is not available".

4. Hard- and software

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2

Spotify android version: 0.5.2.87

Spotfiy desktop version: 0.8.4.107

Computer OS: Windows 7

Phone Operator: Telia, Sweden

Spotify name: Schonefeld (didn't find the number asked for in the troubleshooting guide).

Hope this can help solve my problem,

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies

Same issue. Totally frustrating.

HTC One S - and latest Spotify desktop. I'vealso tried to synch my local tracks at work, and that doesn't work either. so it isn't just my network configuration.

I'm seeing the same here with .m4a files from iTunes.

I'll escalate this, but could you tell me more about your local files? I.e. are they mp3s from an external source, or m4as from iTunes, etc.?

Community Ergo Sum

Seems to have been resolved for me now.

I removed the checkbox to look for local files in itunes.

I deleted the playlist from spotify desktop.

Checked the box again, redid the playlist and then it synced.

Community Ergo Sum

I have more or less the same problem - here's my problem description

Description
Spotify for Android won't play lossless m4a files

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?
Compose a playlist with mixed files (m4a from iTunes, m4a encoded from my CD:s in lossless format, mp3s)
When synchronizing the playlists between my Mac and my HTC Desire HD, only the lossy files will sync and play

What I expected to happen
All the files to be reproduced - in case of Android/Spotify Mobile not being able to play lossless files, I would expect them to resample the files so they fit my Download Settings (i.e. Normal, High, Extreme Quality)

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?
Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?
N/A

Your device
HTC Desire HD

Device’s Operating System
2.3.5 Gingerbread

What type of account do you have?
Premium

Space left on your device
399 MB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)
3,4 GB

Is your device rooted?
No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?
No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?
I don't know.

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?
No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?
N/A

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?
N/A

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)
0.8.4.107 (for mac)

I've been struggling to get lossless files to sync to my Android as well and have been testing pretty thoroughly (and unsuccessfully) trying to find a fix.  Obviously I'd love to get a fix here so I don't need to change the file formats for my lossless songs (I have many many).

Here are my details.

Description
Spotify for Android won't play lossless m4a files. 

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

Create a playlist with a lossless m4a file that is not in the Spotify catalog. It can be a playlist with just one song, or a mixed playlist. 

Sync the playlist to my Android app.

The songs appear in the playlist as "downloaded" (with the green arrow). When I click to play them, the time advances (sometimes is jumps back to the beginning after a few seconds), but no sound is produced.

Note: I tried the steps outlined in this thread by PerBonami (uncheck library, delete playlist, recheck library, create new playlist) and that did not solve the problem.

What I expected to happen

Expect to sync lossless files from my library to my phone. I'd be happy with the original lossless bitrate, or compressing to match Download Settings.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?
Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?
N/A

Your device
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Device’s Operating System
4.0.x

What type of account do you have?
Premium

Space left on your device
17.17gb

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)
na

Is your device rooted?
No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?
no 

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?
No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?
N/A

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?
N/A

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)
0.8.4.124 (for mac)

FYI I just followed the Android troubleshooting steps to fully erase Spotify and all data, and then did some further testing. A few findings:

- Song is an MP3 on my local machine but not online -> works fine

- Song is lossless and is online -> works fine

- Song is lossless but not on Spotify -> does not work

Failure experience is the same. The song "syncs" and when I click play, the screen shows the time advancing, but there's no sound.

Would love to get a fix on this!

JH5> that's exactly what happens in my case... I've read that WinAmp Pro for Android plays lossless m4a so I reckon that Spotify could just include the codec in their Android version of the program. All my cd are encoded in m4a lossless and, while I'm aware that a mobile phone cannot really reproduce lossless files in all their glory, I would like to carry my playlists with me nonetheless and be able to listen to them of course.

I'm revisiting this old thread.

To clarify the feature I want: I don't even need mobile Spotify to actually play my lossless music (that's secondary). The primary thing I need is to be able to listen to my music at *some* sound quality level. The expected behavior here is that Spotify will downsample my lossless music and transfer it. That would be fine... Any updates from the Spotify team would be very appreciated.

Hi. Have you seen this thread which seems to cover the issue you're having? See if following the steps suggested help at all.

Sorry for the late reply but try signing out and signing back in. Also make sure you have premium.

Suggested posts