Country

USA

Device

Samsung S10

Operating System

Android 12/One UI 4.0

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

Since updating to Android 12 (or coincidentally at the same time with a Spotify app update and not related to Android 12 update), my Spotify doesn't start playing automatically when it connects to my car Bluetooth. This wasn't an issue with Android 11.

Even when hitting the "play" button on the car's infotainment system, Spotify doesn't start; I have to manually open the app and press play.

I already tried

• Rebooting device
  • Clean reinstall of Spotify
  • Using cell data instead of WiFi
  • Clearing Spotify and device caches
  • Disabling all battery optimizations for Spotify
  • Friends' cars
  • All applicable steps here
  • Unpairing and repairing device on car stereo and phone

My guess is that Spotify is being closed and can't be "woken up" by the cars request to start the music.

I don't know if this is a Spotify or Samsung/Android 12 issue; maybe there are new Bluetooth permissions in Android 12 Spotify has yet to implement (Maybe an "Allow external devices to control playback" option like in Google Play Music?)

Google-Play-Music-Adds-an-Option-to-Stop-Automatic-Playback-810x298_cThanks for looking into it 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey guys,

Just wanted to quickly update everyone that the issue I had seems to be fixed after I performed a factory reset (because of an unrelated issue) on my device. It now seems to only not work sometimes (instead of not working all the time) and that may be due to Samsung killing the background app...

If you're having problems with your Pioneer/JVM/Kenwood car radio's Spotify mode, this post was not meant for this issue. Instead, check HERE.

Thanks to everyone who tried to solve the issue!

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Hi there @nick169,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

I'd like to start with saying that you've done an amazing job with the troubleshooting so far!

If you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

On another note, does this occur when you're using Bluetooth, USB or both?

Also, can you have someone log in with their account on your device - such as friend or a family member to see if the issue persists? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I just reinstalled the app without the SD card, like you said, and the issue still persists.

I also tried connecting USB at the same time but same result (The USB port only gives power, not data).

To summarize:

• Issue is there when Bluetooth only
  • Issue is there when Bluetooth + USB (but USB port is only powering the phone)
  • Can't play music via USB (because USB port only gives power

Side note: I don't use Android Auto, so it's purely about normal Bluetooth.

It almost certainly must be because of ONE of these updates:

• Android 12 update
  • One UI 4 Update (included with Android 12 update but is Samsung specific)
  • Recent Spotify App Update

or it COULD be a COMBINATION of those 

I also noticed the notification "Spotify is trying to play..." now no longer shows up. (It used to show up between the successful Bluetooth connection to the car and Spotify automatically starting to play.) - I'll attach an example image (not by me)

bhdh7W6

Finally, after some looking around on this forum, I found another person with (what I think is) the same issue here (also on a Samsung device, so maybe a Samsung-specific problem?) https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-can-not-start-resume-music-when-connect-to-car-audi...

The problem also almost always is with cars because it affects Bluetooth speakers which send a "command" to the phone to autoplay music (And those in cars are mostly of that type).

Thanks!

Thanks for explaining this issue so in-depthly! I can also vouch that it is not account related. I've also been having this issue since the updates. I've even upgraded my S10+ to a S21 FE two weeks ago and the problem still persists - and yes I too have tried the troubleshooting, uninstalling/reinstalling the app, and editing the battery optimization settings.

Hopefully Spotify can get to the bottom of this and find a fix for us! 

Another thing to add that may be beneficial, I also noticed that music doesn't automatically start when I connect to my Bluetooth speaker or headphones anymore either! 

Hey folks! 

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

@Butchitup, just to confirm, is this also started happening after an upgrade to Android 12 for you?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

I know I wasn't asked directly here (😐sorry @Butchitup, please still reply to Eni),

BUT I just did more testing and I think the results are pretty telling:

I tested it one 2 additional friends' phones:

• Samsung S21 FE on Android 11
  • Samsung S9 on Android 10

Both also have the same Spotify app version as me (8.6.98.900) and they both automatically began playing (which is what is supposed to happen).

Meanwhile on my (and probably also on @Butchitup's) device with app version 8.6.98.900 and Android 12 it doesn't do that. The problem has to be linked to the Android 12 software update, not a Spotify app update.

Hi @nick169,

Thank you for keeping in touch and sharing those insights. 

After investigating this from our side, we've also concluded that this may be related to a number of factors such as the OS version, factory settings and limitations from certain devices. Especially when treating functions that are mandated by the OS, such as auto start after connecting to Bluetooth. 

Because of this, this is something we can't fix from our side. However, with each update we keep working on improving the optimization of the app, so please make sure to keep your app up to date so you don't miss any important fixes or features.

If there's anything else we can do for you, the Community is here for you.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I have Xiaomi MI9 phone with the same problem. It worked great about two weeks ago, music started after the BT connection without any app running.

I had not any system update since that, but now I have to start the app manually, and start the music manually on the phone.

Android 10

Spotify 8.6.98.900

I've been having the same issue as OP. But with my Samsung Note 10+, ever since the Android 12/One UI update, it hasn't connected to my Kenwood at all.

I've tried the work around that involves, turning off the stereo, deleting the Spotify Cache, logging out, then back in, and turning the stereo back on. It works temporarily, but the next time I turn my car back on, it doesn't work again. Its getting really tiring. Hope we can get a fix soon.

Same issue here, after Android 12 it seems that car connect doesn't work anymore. Before this it worked flawlessly. Seems that I'm not only one with this issue.

I can hear music if I start music manually from phone, but car radio only shows "Connecting".

It doesn't even show current song OR cannot even change/pause songs. Seems that there is some issue transferring data between bluetooth radio and spotify.

Phone: Samsung Fold3
Car radio: Kenwood KMM-BT305

@Jeremy @Eni @MafeG

I downgraded to 8.6.98.900 and my car now plays music automatically and I can control music.

But it only shows first song I played. And if I change to different playlist (via phone), it shows playlist name for some reason. 

With latest spotify version car radio would only show "connecting" and wouldn't auto play anything. And I couldn't even control music via car radio.

So currently my solution is to keep older version.. 

Pinging you, read my latest message: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Music-doesn-t-start-when-connected-to-car/m-p/5344692/highl...

> Because of this, this is something we can't fix from our side

Funny thing that it works better with older version of Spotify, but latest version totally broke that connection.

It seems that it's 100% Spotify issue.

EDIT: seems that reply to specific message is just reply to thread..

Hola, espero les sirva esto.

Mi OS, Android 12 one ui 4.0 samsung s10+

Spotify version 8.7.14.1332

Instalando la última versión de spotify me di cuenta que la notificación que sirve para conectar el dispositivo a la radio, en mi caso es una pioneer, no se muestra, en mi telefono se llama "Aplicaciones externas"(mirar IMG adjunta)

Para activarla lo que hice fue vincular mi galaxy watch usando la app de spotify en el reloj en modo "Remote"

Esto provocó que la ya mencionada notificación se genere y se active, ahora puedo encender mi carro y la app se conecta inmediatamente y reproduce la música sin problemas.

Disculpen usar español, espero que les sirva de corazón! Saludos

Screenshot_20220318-185110_Settings.jpg

Hi there folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Can you let us know what troubleshooting you've done so far? This will help us to not repeat something that you've already done.

@Racle90 - There's an ongoing issue regarding the first track only being showed here. You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates about this.

@Faelystiri - just to confirm, did you follow the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it.

@xNickMaster - we hope you don't mind us replying in English. It's really nice of you to share with the rest of the Community what worked for you 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy, 

Is the connection issue fixed in latest version or is it still better to stick with version 8.6.98.900 which actually connects automatically and you can control music? (but song display issue is still there) 

Last time I tried latest version, it didn't even connect. 

Hey @Racle90,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We'd recommend that you keep your app up-to-date so you don't miss the latest features and improvements.

As @Jeremy mentioned it's also a good idea to Subscribe to that thread so you can get notified in case there are any updates about this.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Ver,

keeping my app "up-to-date" last time broke function I use very often, that's the reason I got back old version, which ex. WORKS.

If I update my app and it doesn't work, it's annoying hassle to get back to older version which works.

You have to uninstall app, reinstall from APK, login, configure your spotify, download large playlist again etc.

This is the reason I wanted confirmation that is the feature actually fixed before I update to latest.

And I'm subscribed here, and I haven't heard ANY update regarding this issue.

Hey @Racle90,

I believe this is your problem:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Connection-issues-with-car-stereo-receivers/idc-p/53...

They suddenly ended support for a number of car stereos 😕

Hope this "helps"

F***. That is the reason why it doesn't work anymore.
They release their own device and kill perfectly functional feature..

Well, I'll keep using the old version as long it works. After that I'll have to open spotify manually every f*****g time and hope it connects

And I'm sure spotify will get their well earned 1* rating. 

Suggested posts