Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stops playing after 10 seconds when casting to Google Mini speaker

Music stops playing after 10 seconds when casting to Google Mini speaker

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

(iPhone 😎

My Question or Issue

I have premium account and was using my Iphone to cast music to Google mini speaker. Recently, when I try to cast song to the speaker, it randomly chooses different song and plays it for exactly 10 seconds and then stops but I can see song  still playing on the phone. The same happneds when I just request song via speaker which is linked to Spoity account.

I reinstalled appl several times and restarted phone as well as re-linked Spotify in Google home multiple times. I coundn't find any solution to the problem so far in any similar topics.

Can you please help, as premium account became useless for me due to this issue? 

39 Replies

Following. I'm having the same issue

Same exact problem. I’ve researched the problem and none of the steps suggested to fix the problem work. 

Unsubscribed from Spotify Premium and moved to different music service

I'm having the same issue and seriously considering switching. Which service did you go with?

Did you try linking your phone and google home mini with Bluetooth? 
That seemed to solve the problem for me!

Still happens

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Don't worry. Help is here.

If you still experience this issue, it's a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. This one is more thorough than the usual reinstall. It's also important that device firmware is up- to-date.

If the issue persists, you can try with another account. That way we can see if it's a device-related issue. Are there any changes?

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is extremely similar to the problem I have been encountering with my Spotify Premium account and casting to a Google Home device. It randomly selects a track by the artist I have asked for, plays for around 10 seconds and then stops.

The most frustrating thing is that this only impacts my Google Home. A Google Nest Mini on the same home network is fine, as are the laptops and phones. It is just the Google Home that is misbehaving with Spotify.

Even more frustrating is that it is only music from Spotify that is not working, as podcasts from Spotify work just fine on the Google Home device, which makes me sure it is a Spotify issue. Other music services, live radio etc are fine too.

This has been going on for 5 days now and all google devices are at the latest version (1.50.229149). Resetting, unlinking etc. has not worked. 

Can someone from Spotify support figure this out as it is clearly an ongoing issue that many people are experiencing as well?

Hey there @nec,

Thank you for your post here in the thread.

Can you confirm if you performed a clean reinstall of the app since that will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

It would also be good if you can restart your router, and also  check so your firmware are up to date.

Also - does this occur when you play music from one specific device or from multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello,

Hopefully my reply will eventually get through - it keeps getting rejected by the forum software.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions. However, none of these work.

After resetting the application on my phone and rebooting the router, when I try and play music via Spotify either by a direct voice command to the Google Home or by casting from an Android phone I get the same behaviour i.e. after a pause of a few seconds, the Google Home starts playing a song further down the play list or album and then stops playing after 10 seconds.

It feels like the system is performing in a weird mode, where it is randomly flicking through 5 tracks of an album/playlist but then only playing a preview of 10 seconds of the track it settles on.

The firmware for the Google Home is at the latest version (1.50.229149). I have also checked with another family member who also has exactly the same model of Google Home running the same version of software and that is working fine with Spotify.

Recapping:

1) It is only failing to play Spotify music tracks on the Google Home, which stop after 10 seconds.

2) When casting from an Android phone to this Google Home, you can see the app skipping 5 tracks before starting to play the first 10 seconds of the track.

3) Podcasts on Spotify do successfully play on the Google Home.

4) Other music services (Youtube) and BBC Radio services all play successfully on the Google Home.

5 ) Music on Spotify also successfully plays on a Google Nest on the same home network as the failing device.

Analyzing the symptoms, it definitely feels like an issue at the Spotify end and not something that can be solved by updating the app on my phone, as all of the combinations point to the fact that the Google Home is working with other services. In particular the fact that Spotify podcasts play ok is the strongest indicator that the fault is with the Spotify music service, although it does seem odd that there could be a difference in how these different streams are served up.

Any further thoughts on how this can be remedied would be gratefully received.

I am having the same issue.

Only happen when casting to my google home. I am using the app on my google pixel and on my mac book through the web player. Plays fine through each of the actual devices but as soon as a I cast on any device it randomly jumps through songs settles on one and plays for a few seconds and then stops. I have tried incognito window, I have tried using chrome and safari and using just the app as well.  I have looked through multiple post and have tried all different suggestions to no avail. Very frustrating when you are paying premium and you can't use the services. I have read it is a spotify server issue. Please help

Having the exact same problem with my google home. Nothing seems to fix it. Spotify app on MacBook also been lagging and not showing the current song playing, driving me insane!

I tried everything Spotify suggested. They finally claimed the problem was corrupted files in my account. All were deleted. Caches deleted. Playlists erased. Problem continues. I believe there is a fundamental compatibility issue between Spotify and Google Mini/Home Mini.
I gave up. I bought the high end Edifier speakers I was looking at with bluetooth. No problems playing Spotify on these speakers.
It would be so much less frustrating if Spotify just admits there is a problem playing Spotify on Google Mini or Home Minis. It would have eliminated a lot of wasted time I put into trying to resolve the problem.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

We'd suggest you try with another account. That way we can check if it's an account-related issue. Are there any changes?

In case battery optimization and cache clearing apps, it's a good idea to deactivate them.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am experiencing this same issue, it just started in the last few days. I can connect and play properly on my Google home mini, but the Home speaker cuts out after about 10 seconds &/or cycles through songs continually. I’ve rebooted everything, reinstalled spotify (following your instructions) cleared my cache, etc. the same thing occurs when my son connects with his phone, or when trying to start spotify directly from the Google home device. This is extremely frustrating and it doesn’t look like you really have a solution. 

Hi, I ended up calling Spotify and they had to clear my cache from their side. It works fine now.

Hey @Louieh78

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We’re happy to hear our friends from the support team helped with this. 

If you have any questions we're always one post away. 

Еnjoy your music! 

Hi,

How do I get this fixed for my account?  This has been happening for over a year:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/515v8mm95h464ov/IMG_0503.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29jkk7mbzilgq5c/IMG_0504.MOV?dl=0

If Spotify are about to put their prices up, I would at least like to be able to use the service on my Google Home devices!

Suggested posts