Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stops playing by itself

Music stops playing by itself

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Samsung S8

Operating System

Android One UI version 1.0

Adroid version 9

My Question or Issue

When I am playing music the app shuts down after playing one and a half songs and I have to restart the app..it happens with both downloaded and when streaming. I have checked battery saving settings, cleared caches and wiped partition cache none of these things worked.  Very frustrating, everything elso on my phone works fine , I can play podcasts that I have downloaded with no problems.  I look forward to you assistance.

7 Replies

Hey @SJN1960,

Sorry to see you're having an issue with Spotify. Though I'm here to help right away!

Can you please make sure to do the following steps or answer to the following questions?

- First of all, can you try restarting your device (if you haven't) and try again?

- Can you try reinstalling the Spotify app? A fresh installation always helps.

-- If these basic steps don't help: --

- Can you let me know if you're using Spotify on any other device (like your computer, TV, smartwatch etc.)

- and if those devices are on at the same time you're listening to the music and it stops?

Cheers,

/Arda

Thanks Arda, yes I have tried restarting and re-booting my phone.  Also uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled. I have cleared my caches on the app and also cleared the entire cache on the phone. I have checked my battery saving settings and they seem to be right.  As I mentioned I can download podcasts and play them we no issue, so it is definitely linked to Spotify.

I have spotify on my laptop and also listen thru google home with no issues.  The music stops whether these devices are on or off.

Hope this helps, I look forward to your response.

Thx! 

Hey @SJN1960,

sorry for the late response. Can you please answer a few more questions below?

- Can you confirm that listening to Spotify on the same account but on different devices (e.g. their laptop) works normally?

- Can you tell me your exact Spotify version and make sure it's up-to-date?

Cheers,

/A

I found this response on line and it works for now...will have to wait for Samsung to figure out a permanent fix

millkd 
 Casual Listener

I spent an hour on the phone with Samsung support today and here's what I learned:

If you go to Apps > Spotify > Optimize battery usage, Spotify will continue playing after you've clicked the power button to sleep the display. However, if you allow the display to time out and sleep on its own, Spotify will continue to shut off when the display sleeps.

According to Samsung technical support this is a new issue and they are looking into a fix.

In the meantime I hope this temporary work around is useful for you.

Hello,

I have the same problem with my galaxy S8. It starts after the last update. Not sure if it was after the spotify update or Samsung update....but it is very annoying. Will try your tip as well

Your advise is working. 

Hey there @SJN1960,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Since you mention this is only happening on your mobile device, it's worth a shot trying a clean reinstall of the app following the steps below instead:

1. Head here and click Remove all devices
  2. Go to your Spotify settings, scroll down to Storage and then clear the cache
  3. From the Android home screen, tap Settings > Apps
  4. Find Spotify in your list of apps, tap it and clear the cache and data. Then select Uninstall.
  5. Switch your device off and wait a couple minutes.
  6. Switch your device back on.
  7. Open the Google Play Store then search for and install the Spotify Music app.

Further, we'd suggest making sure your Samsung device is up to speed with any pending firmware/software updates.

On another note, we'd also recommend trying the workaround @millkd suggested above.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts