Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Musics stops when using google chrome

Solved!

Musics stops when using google chrome

Hi Everybody,

Since the last update, the music stops when i use google chrome on my galaxy s3 (4.1.2).

And i can't turn the app off...

can someone help me please ?

Thanks

52 Replies

Btw, the version on m.Spotify.Com is the version without landscape. It does work better in the background though.

Considering canceling my subscription over this. For me it happens in all apps. Spotify plays for a bit, maybe a minute or so, then it pauses. I go back to the app and it appears to be paused, but if I attempt to continue the song, it doesn't work and it shows my last played song as a song I haven't listened to in maybe a month. That song has been showing up as if it's the last played song for a month, but the inability to play in the background is exclusive to the latest version of the app. I ended up deleting the playlist that song is in yesterday just to make it stop.

Well, I rebooted my phone and it was working fine all weekend until I'd almost got to work so I suspect a resource leak of some kind. I dont use chrome myself so its not just that, and its worth noting that its only spotify that seems to be having a problem; every other app I run is perfectly happy. This needs a fix and soon!

Hi everyone - Just wanted to let you know we're here and we hear you. 

As soon as I have an update regarding this I'll post here. Thanks for your help while we look into this!

I know you guys are looking into this but I just wanted to confirm (after I said in my previous post that I'd be back after more testing) that Spotify is still stopping in the background. Even after reboots.

Thanks for letting us know that this is being looked into.

I have a similar problem - spotify stops playing music on my S3 when browsing via chrome. The problem occurred since the last update and is really annoying.. there are no problems when I use other apps in parallel, please fix..

Hi guys, you should now find a new update in the Play Store that should help with some playback problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

That's a great news, thanks !

Thanks Adam!

It's probably worth noting though, that there's already a comment on the play store saying that this latest update didn't resolve the "Spotify stopping when it's in the background" issue.

To anyone who's already updated, it's probably worth a shot, but for those of you who hadn't upgraded yet, or who have downgraded to the the previous version that didn't have that issue, it would probably be in your best interest to wait until further reports come in before upgrading.  Either that, or make sure your old version of spotify is backed up, so that you can reinstall it later, if you need to.

Also running into this issue. Phone had been up for a while (hadn't restarted in a while) and when running spotify in the background and launching chrome, spotify would then close. Seemed like ai had about 200MB of free memory before running spotify. The problem was reproducible with the same steps. However when restarting the phone, the crash doesn't with the aforementioned steps despite showing similar memory usage.

Phone / version info:
Spotify version: 1.1.2.453
Phone: lg volt
Android version: 4.4.2

Please let me know if i van provide more info.
Thanks,
Chris

On android, as far as I am aware if you try and bring an app to the foreground and the device feels it doesn't have enough memory it will kill background apps. Not sure how to do a definitive test if that is the cause here or not though.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter, thanks for the reply. Thanks makes sense; I saw other replies along the lines of system resource issues. Certainly doesn't sound specific to spotify. And if I recall, a similar issue might have come up with the default music player; so memory indeed seems the culprit Thanks! -Chris

Same thing happens to me. Whenever I open another app and leave Spotify playing in the background it will eventually crash, usually quite quickly. I suspect it's a RAM issue - i.e. Android shutting it down to free up RAM. I recently switched to a Moto G (2nd gen) from a Nexus 4. I never had this problem with the Nexus. The Moto G is a less powerfull phone, so I imagine that is the problem.

Has anybody found any sort of solution? Is there a way of forcing Android not to shut it down? This phone is next to useless for me if I can't play music and multitask.

I'm running Android 4.4.4 btw.

I think your best bet would be a clean install...

NOTE: You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this!

Uninstall the app from Settings - Apps then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it, then press 'Uninstall' (or any other way you usually uninstall apps).

Once done using a file manager (such as ES File Explorer) make sure that the below folders are deleted (the second one may be still remaining from the older version of Spotify):

/Android/data/com.spotify.music
/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Note: - Make sure to check both Emulated/0/ AND the /ext_sd/ locations for these folders as they could be on Internal memory or/and external SD card.

When all folders are removed go to the play store and install the Spotify Music app again (Direct Link).

Official guides for a clean reinstallation here
If using an external sd card to store your cache (Offline Playlists) on Android 4.4.2+ then please read instructions in the thread here: [Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks for the response Daniel.

Just wondering why would this help? It's a new install from 1 week ago.

Ok, just a thought. Are you rooted at all? I have been seeing a few issues recently with moto devices, it may be an issue with the rom or compatability. Try a clean install else let me know and I'll see if we can escalate it

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

No I'm not rooted. I've been getting to stay away from roms on my last few phones. I quite like the recent versions of Android. I'm considering just trying to sell this second hand and buy something more powerful. It's a a big issue. Thanks for your input.

Hi everybody
I'm also using a second generation Moto G and having the exact same problem. But the thing is, I bought a Moto G a few weeks ago and my last phone was a less powerful one - from Motorola - and I never had this kind of problem (in fact, I never had any problems at all concerning Spotify).
It could be a thing with the Kit Kat version of Android or chrome's new update (which is awful).
Reinstalling the app didn't do any good unfortunately...

Came here searching for answers about the exact same problem. I'm on an Xperia Z1 and I've had this issue since approximately a year back. I've tried literally everything, including all the advice given in this thread. I'd like to revive the thread as no solution has been presented as far as I can see. My Xperia is a bit outdated but according to system requirements it should be up to par to at least listen to Spotify and browse Chrome at the same time?

I have this issue on my android phone and my computer.

Phone: LG Transpyre, OS: android 5.1.1

On phone Spotify stops playing within a minute of opening the chrome browser, occasionally the Spotify app will completely shut down. RAM not an issue, never use more than 3/4 of it with background and several foreground apps running.

Computer: HP Pavilion g series, OS: Windows 7

On computer, Spotify stops playing within a minute of opening Chrome browser. When I go back into Spotify, it won't play any song. Light blue bar at top, claiming song can't be played at the time. Will play after restarting Spotify completely - kill process trees via task mgr.

ALSO, after recent update, Spotify set itself to run at system start without my permission and no apparent way to stop. Went digging through registry, windows system settings, and Spotify settings to no avail. At the moment I have uninstalled Spotify completely from my computer, which also required registry digging for misc pieces left behind.

Account is Premium Family, paying $14.99 a month for broken, sub-par service!?

If this will not be resolved, I doubt I'll be the only customer to dump Spotify and get Amazon Prime monthly instead.

Suggested posts