Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

Solved!

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

This is concerning premium users mostly, however I am sure that there are free users that relied on this feature too. 

Alongside the new update, which changed the library UI in Android app, one of the most useful features disappeared: browsing saved songs by artists. Artist bookmark now lists only artists that you observe instead of listing all that you have saved songs of, and while clicking on artist now their online full page will appear instead of the list of saved songs sorted by albums. This is extremely infuriating for people like me, who kept their all offline music in library instead of playlists and have multitude of artists they do listen to. Now I cannot listen to my chosen tracks of one artist without reffering to self created playlist as Artists bookmark will lead me to their full page. Moreover, I cannot browse by artists AT ALL in offline mode as those full pages are purely online thing. They even deleted my Albums section, as Albums bookmark now lists only albums which are saved as a whole and do not list partially saved ones. I will not create 150 playlist for all of my Artists so if Spotify will not bring the feature back, I will have to consider withdrawing from subscription. Because why would I need and offline music app which I cannot use in offline mode in any usable way? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all,

It's now possible to view all saved songs by a certain Artist within the Artist section. You'll see the amount of songs listed under each Artist icon. You can also 'save' an Artist without saving any songs. This can be done by following the Artist.

We will be closing this topic. If you have any feedback for us, be sure to check out the Ideas Exchange here.

Thanks and have a nice day.

View solution in original post

123 Replies

I'm in the same boat. I listen to music in a very similar way, usually by artists either through individual songs or albums I had not saved, and not necessarily in a playlist. Loss of this access is incredibly frustrating and severly disrupts the way I enjoy my music, especially when I can't access half of it.

I have exacly the same issue. I just uninstalled and got an older apk from a thirdparty site. 

Im so angry right now, i just lost all my offline files as well. 

This better be fixed, or im stuck using an old version or revert back to mp3's again.....   bye bye subscription?

Who thought this was a good idea? And if they haven’t been fired...how do they even still have a job working for Spotify!!!! It must have been agreed by the directors or management at Spotify 

Its completely ruined the way I play and find my saved music, I honestly can’t believe that more people aren’t complaining about this update, have the majority of Spotify users not done the update? 

Crazy 

Same thing for me. My apps just updated on their own cause I have that enabled and I can no longer view any of my music that I had saved via artist.

Not a single artist who's music I had saved shows up. This is almost the only way I listen to music through the app period. I rarely use Playlists, or search for songs individually.

This feature is extremely useful, bring it back please.

Hey there @twilticon @Setian @Timmy-cbn @Tindel @DannieSama 

I'd recommend you to check this support article for the changes you see in Spotiy.

Spotify is always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall, and this is one of them. The plan is to change the layout of Your Library on mobile, as well as the way content is saved to Your Library. And they're still in the middle of changing it for everyone, that's why not all users have it the way you do.

You're probably wondering where'd your saved songs go. Don't worry, your saved songs will now appear in a playlist called Favorite Songs. From now on, saving an album won’t automatically save the songs within that album, so be sure to save the songs you want to keep!

And from now on, Your Library should contain any artists that you follow. Saving an album or song won’t automatically save the artist, so be sure to follow them in the future!

Also, the saved Stations section has been removed from Your Library, but you can still start a Radio from any artist, album, or song. From there, Radios can be followed which’ll save them into your Playlists section. They’re now downloadable, too.

Hope this helps 🙂

@Mantisentil wrote:

Don't worry, your saved songs will now appear in a playlist called Favorite Songs. From now on, saving an album won’t automatically save the songs within that album, so be sure to save the songs you want to keep!

And this is exactly the core of problem! I have over 3000 saved songs of more than 120 artist. Using one 3000 track playlist is terrible hassle, especially when it is arranged in order in which you saved songs and contain multitude of genres. Normally, I'd just shuffle-play one desired artist but now I cannot as I cannot see saved songs by one artist. Not only this made offline mode utterly useless, but now I also have to manually create queue from one artists page instead of just clicking one button and listening to my desired music happily. And I can see here that multiple people have exactly same problem. 

Thanks for your reply.

But I have to agree this new layout is fundamentally the problem. I have close to 6000 saved songs in that playlist and it doesn't make it easier to find the songs that I've come to enjoy. This is a horrible quality of life change that makes it more difficult for me to find and enjoy the music I like.

It takes several extra steps to find an artist, go to their page, find the album in an often huge list of albums, then choose the songs I want to listen to. While I could put a lot of them in playlists, that would be extremely tedious to make a new playlist for every artist or album that I'd want to listen to, and it simply goes against the grain of how I listen to music.

When I save an album, why would I not want it to automatically save all the songs in that album? Personally, I frequently will listen through entire albums or artist catalogues, and with this updated system, there is no way to add all of those songs together easily. The extra step of going into each album and adding to queue or a playlist is excessive and a waste of time.

It also doesn't make sense to me that I can't easily see what songs or albums or even artists I have downloaded. The large part of the reason I like Spotify premium is that I can download to my phone and save myself from using up my data. Before it was easy to indicate that I wanted to download a whole artist or only individual albums from that artist. I can't see any easy way to do that now.

This whole change is a step in the wrong direction, doesn't make my music listening experience more enjoyable, and doesn't help me discover new music any easier than previously. I hope they seriously rethink this design, or at least incorporate the old functionality with the new layout.

This update is HORRIBLE! I hope Spotify will reconsider. The update makes using the app a pain. Idk who thought it would be a good idea to put all your saved songs into one playlist. I really don't want to have to find another music streaming source, but I will if they don't change it back. 

"Don't worry, your saved songs will now appear in a playlist called Favorite Songs. From now on, saving an album won’t automatically save the songs within that album, so be sure to save the songs you want to keep!"

That's the whole problem! Change it back.

Worst ui update ever. Please bring back old design or I will leave spotify.

How on earth can you be a music library app without the ability to select by artist???? If there is no filter tree then its only good for streaming premade playlists, individual songs found via search, and maaaaybe albums. This is absolute trash. I've backdated my andorid version, but at least give those of us who don't care for Spotify's turn to become a glorified (but somehow still feature poor) podcast app a way to export the artist and song lists we've curated over YEARS so we can get on to a service that cares the least bit a out actually listening to a music collection. 

Agreed.  I used other music services for months before switching to Spotify.  I'm prepared to go back.

Yea, this update functionally ruins the app. If they don't give us that feature back, I'm saying goodbye to spotify for sure. If I'm paying money for a music subscription, I expect to be able to sort my saved library by artist. This is ridiculously stupid.

This update is AWFUL! The app updated when I changed my phone and now I'm wondering whether it's worth sticking with spotify or trying to find another music app. I'm not paying money for an app that I am unable to use because its layout is not user-friendly and I have to go through each artist I've ever listened to and save songs and albums I had already saved over months of using the app! Spotify really needs to re-think this new update, because no-one wants this new update when the older version was so much easier to use! 

I built that library up over years and now I can't easily find any of it. I am so dissapointed in this company right now. Maybe it is time to move on to the next big music app.

Created a community account just to say that I completely agree with everyones comments.

I almost solely listen to albums. If I can't easily open up a music app, go to an artist, and see the albums by them that I have saved to play them, it is not a proper music app.

If this change is not reverted I will be moving to a different music subscription.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!! I ONLY listen to my songs via "songs" in "my library". I hit shuffle and let it do its thing. I am constantly downloading new songs and having to save them into a playlist as I do this is going to to painful!! If this doesnt get changed back or have some function where I can look at all of my songs, I will be finding another app and cancelling my subscription... its a shame.. I have come to enjoy Spotify.. 

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one going thru this, everyone!

Unbelievable. How am I supposed to view artists on a flight with no internet? I have been an avid user and supporter of spotify for many years, and recommend it to everyone, not after this update! If the changes are not reverted I will be taking my subscription elsewhere. Ridiculous!

• You didn't help really lol.  The update is clearly designed to get artist more followers at the expense of user experience.  Everyone sorts songs by artist, not by a favorite songs playlist that doesnt include albums...

Suggested posts