Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

Solved!

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

This is concerning premium users mostly, however I am sure that there are free users that relied on this feature too. 

Alongside the new update, which changed the library UI in Android app, one of the most useful features disappeared: browsing saved songs by artists. Artist bookmark now lists only artists that you observe instead of listing all that you have saved songs of, and while clicking on artist now their online full page will appear instead of the list of saved songs sorted by albums. This is extremely infuriating for people like me, who kept their all offline music in library instead of playlists and have multitude of artists they do listen to. Now I cannot listen to my chosen tracks of one artist without reffering to self created playlist as Artists bookmark will lead me to their full page. Moreover, I cannot browse by artists AT ALL in offline mode as those full pages are purely online thing. They even deleted my Albums section, as Albums bookmark now lists only albums which are saved as a whole and do not list partially saved ones. I will not create 150 playlist for all of my Artists so if Spotify will not bring the feature back, I will have to consider withdrawing from subscription. Because why would I need and offline music app which I cannot use in offline mode in any usable way? 

123 Replies

@Mantisentil You cannot be serious. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea. Since when is REMOVING user choice from an app beneficial to the user?

You really think that forcing us to use a single playlist of all our saved songs with potentially thousands of tracks across different genres and moods is a better idea than letting us curate our own playlists and choose to listen to only saved songs for a specific artist, if that's what we want?

What is WRONG with the devs at Spotify. Every year they butcher the app more, removing more and more features, (all while basic functionality of the app, hello endless loading wheel, is still present and annoying as ever) and while they're slapping PAYING CUSTOMERS in the face they expect us to believe it's for our own good?

Thank God I was able to rollback to an old version on Android, but it seems that might not be an option on Windows so now Spotify, the service I am PAYING MONEY FOR EVERY MONTH, is essentially useless to me on PC.

I agree with all of the posts here.  This needs to be reverted urgently or I will be cancelling my subscription.  It is way too difficult to find songs.

I saw that people actually did get the "Favourites" playlist. Can you show me a screenshot of your playlist tab? I didn't get that playlist and am not sure if it's a bug or not. So i can only listen to my music by album. The other choice i have is to go one by one for each of my 2000 songs and manually create that playlist. It wont let me add music on mass into playlist or even by album. Thank god the desktop app is still normal so i could do it from there. 

And i also have massive issues with the artist changes. I should not have to set up what i am about to listen to on my desktop computer then change the playback device to my phone so i can listen the way i always have

spotify broken screenshot.png

How did you roll it it back??????

Until today I've never been so frustrated with an update that I felt the need to post to the forums.  As others have said I'll be exploring other services if this update remains in place. 

The "favorite songs" tab is only on the pc version of spotify. The same folder on an android is "liked songs". Im not sure about iphone but i would imagine its similar 

Ah ok. Thanks for that, heyjerry. That one response was more helpful then a full day emailing support about it. So they want me to go through one song at a time and liking each song, 2000 times....to get the same fuction going as what i had before this update? 

I do not understand the mind of someone who came up with this update :S None of it makes any sense. Just makes it 10000x harder and time consuming.

https://reddit.app.link/egxj8UcHTU

Try this reddit, it explains everything in great detail. There are plenty more people **bleep** off about this. 

To roll back the update on Android you can go to a site called uptodown: just Google 'old Spotify versions' and it should be the first result. Other sites may also have previous versions but this one worked for me. All the versions are dated, so you'll probably wanna go back to the last version of 2018 to get an actual decent version of the app back, and don't forget to disable auto-updates on apps.

The problem is this will only work on Android (possibly also iPhone) as Spotify forces you to update on desktop and, last I checked, there is no longer a way to block the update.

My desktop version updated this morning when I switched my PC back on so now it's functionally useless once again, especially because I don't even have the stupid 'Favourite/Liked Songs' playlist.

Hey Roblikes music. You said your PC spotify app updated? So is it like the android app now? If so, i would be completely **bleep**ed when it comes through on mine. I have been setting up what i want to listen to on my desktop, then changing the playback device to my phone since it can no longer do any of that like it use to. 

@Deadjim, yep it's completely **bleep**; desktop version is basically worthless to me.

It's funny, because I'm actually using the same method as you but in reverse: I rolled back my Android version and need to use that to play individual artists on desktop.

It's an absolute joke.

@Roblikesmusic I managed to stop the update on my old phone that i use for running with. So it looks like im going to have to use my old phone to set up my music on my desktop and my current phone. If forcing people to do stuff like that to get the same functions they use to have doesnt tell them that they **bleep**ed up, nothing will....

The only thing I can think of is "what the **bleep**". This is completely insane and user-hostile. You just made app completely worthless to me.

Roblikesmusic 

The uptodown download worked for me on my android and I'm happy as a clam about it. However I'm still **bleep** about spotify's update and they need to change it back. 

Also however, 

On the windows version, deadjim, I believe you can turn off automatic updates. I could be mistaken, but with mine I have to manually update it when it says there is one to do.

I agree, the new Spotify UI is absolutely terrible in my opinion. I used Prime Music for over two years and was happy with everything.
I got Spotify Premium only because their offer is bigger but after a few days my library changed magically and i am no longer able to hear music in the way I like it; all my favorite songs sorted by artists.
I totally regret my decision of switching music streaming plattforms and am considering to go back to amazon.

I recently joined the premium service and I'm very disappointed myself on these recent changes. I'm sure thinking of going to another service.

@Mantisentil wrote:

You're probably wondering where'd your saved songs go. Don't worry, your saved songs will now appear in a playlist called Favorite Songs. From now on, saving an album won’t automatically save the songs within that album, so be sure to save the songs you want to keep!

Yeah, just two things to say about this. First, how do I exactly easily filter through over 3000 songs to listen just to ONE artist, huh? Secondly, why on EARTH would I want to save an album if it isn't to save the songs within it? Like c'mon it doesn't make ANY sense. I'm sorry if I sound way too aggressive but man the thing worked so well, why did you have to ruin it? IF IT ISN'T BROKEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T FIX IT. Super upset that my listening experience got royally **bleep** over. And the worst thing is that I pay for it.

I also downloaded an older version but how do I turn off auto update on my S8 (Android).. thanks!

Edit: I went into the Play Store and unticked the auto update box.. should do the trick?

It should do the trick.

Head here  and vote to bring back the old UI. The more votes the better so give the link to the voting page to everyone you know who wants the old UI back. 

Suggested posts