Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

Solved!

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

This is concerning premium users mostly, however I am sure that there are free users that relied on this feature too. 

Alongside the new update, which changed the library UI in Android app, one of the most useful features disappeared: browsing saved songs by artists. Artist bookmark now lists only artists that you observe instead of listing all that you have saved songs of, and while clicking on artist now their online full page will appear instead of the list of saved songs sorted by albums. This is extremely infuriating for people like me, who kept their all offline music in library instead of playlists and have multitude of artists they do listen to. Now I cannot listen to my chosen tracks of one artist without reffering to self created playlist as Artists bookmark will lead me to their full page. Moreover, I cannot browse by artists AT ALL in offline mode as those full pages are purely online thing. They even deleted my Albums section, as Albums bookmark now lists only albums which are saved as a whole and do not list partially saved ones. I will not create 150 playlist for all of my Artists so if Spotify will not bring the feature back, I will have to consider withdrawing from subscription. Because why would I need and offline music app which I cannot use in offline mode in any usable way? 

123 Replies

Can you tell all of us how you backdated your Android version. I want/need to do that too.

@ABCDE1973

" It's like going to a restaurant..."

Yes, and when you look over at the other tables (those who haven't been
smacked with this so-called update) you see people getting what they want
while you pay the same for a lesser product.

• Ha ha, I hadn't thought of it quite like that.

Same problem, but my main issue is the barely usefull recently play thing in home. In the old version I could just scroll through it, and it used to be a longer list of albums/playlist. The old library page is way better.

Where did you receive the apk

To explain the .apk download...

Go to www.uptodown.com and search through the apps to find spotify under the android section. It will list all previous versions available to download via .apk file on android devices. I think i downloaded a version from february 2nd... You can also do this with mac os, windows, iphone, etc. It will prompt you to download the .apk and you might need to enable a setting called something like "allow unknown source downloads" or something like that in android settings.

Do yourself the favor of uninstalling spotify before you download the new one to prevent any corruption issues. I have not had any trouble with it, but you never know, always good to play it safe. 

The new(old) version will now have all your data just as it was before this cancer of an update happened. 

*****TO BE NOTED******

My "Discover Weekly" playlist has not updated since I've installed this version. This is the ONLY bug i have run into. Otherwise it is running in tip top shape.

Also,

Thanks everyone for your outrage, it pleases me to see that i was not the only one mad about this.

Can't say i agree with the .apk file to go back to an earlier date.

I just refuse to pay for Spotify  to **bleep** me up the a.s.s.

If you want to show them how much they messed up and want them to fix it, you need to get them by the wallet.

All you are doing is supporting it.

Has there been any update to getting this feature back?

There has been no updates. In fact spotify hasn't addressed it directly at all. There's an ' live idea' to vote on that spotify hasn't included in any monthy roundup nor has commented on. The update is still filtering out to people. Considering how much media attention the dumb shuffle button UI tweak got,  I'm shocked this hasn't gotten no attention even though it completely recreates the library.. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Your-Library-Bring-Spotify-s-old-UI-back/idc-p/4767289#M...

so funny immediately thought the exact same thing, its so blatantly clear because of how moronic this was set up, that it clearly had to have an alterior motive, very clearly trying to boost artist following over user experience

Let me make this clear to spotify management in clear terms, im almost certain this feature was specifically designed to boost artist following numbers, at the expense of user experience, u have essentially made the offline music feature (virtually the whole reason people get a premium account) useless, thus I hope the amount of money u may be getting from whatever shady deal u made with some major labels possibly, is worth loosing thousands of premium subscribers! unless this was just one of the most serious moronic oversights, allow for users to choose between old layout and the new one, that would be the most comically simple fix

Just had this come up last night.  All my saved artists are now gone from my Android's library and the only way to view things is through either "following" the artist(I listen to lots of 20th-century rock, so a lot of these artists are only putting out remasters and rereleasing every single live bootleg that was ever recorded - I have very little interest in either of these) or scrolling through every single album I have in alphabetical order(standing at 7291 songs and counting).  Just trying to help support the artists I listen to with my $12 CAD/month, and would definitely appreciate things being left the way they are when I'm paying for the service, instead of obfuscating my library so I have to use a skewed playlist algorithm that puts instrumental interlude tracks from concept albums into artist radio without context and can't figure out I don't want WASP in my jazz-rock playlist after four years of consistent downvoting...hahaha.

Now the Spotify library works just like Deezer. And the worst part is that this was the main reason I canceled my Deezer's subscription.

This update is terrible. Where do we begin?

Option to filter by Artist with no filter available?

Removed Songs completely so I can't shuffle all of my downloaded songs

Can no longer remove or download individual songs

Seems like offline mode is the only way to avoid streaming songs even if they are downloaded

I just don't understand this update. I pay for an easy-to-use app with all of my music, what's so hard about being able to control what I want to listen to?

This update is truely shocking. How do we search our library? Where are my offiline albums? Why can't I select an album that I have saved to my phone when I am offiline? Imagfine this normal use case, on a plane and I want to listen to an album saved to my phone. I can't. Who serioulsly thought that was a good idea. You need very rapidly to turn this around.

+1 for having just signed up for forums specifically to complain about this. 

and also +1 for will cancel premium if this isn't reverted soon. Makes it completely unusable for what is clearly a major way that most users will want to use a music app.

Same here, i used to to listen albums instead of songs individually, i hate that i have hasave  entire album just to listen as a album, and i have a lot of songs i don't want make a playlist for each album

This change is terrible to say the least.

The ability to search at artist, as was possible before by having seperate artist buttons, is gone. Why? I can't just scroll through artists from downloaded songs, and pick what I'm in the mood for. I have to scroll through all the songs I ever downloaded / liked / saved.

The overview of what you already have and what not is gone.

Everyone please upvote this idea to bring back the old UI.

If this is not reversed anytime soon, I'm off to greener pastures.

Horror. A shame. Delete spotify.

After years as premium user I have messy kinda unsorted library, but find my way to listening with album tab. Even if I saved one track from artist I do not follow I still use album tab and find it there quite easily.. Now it's somewhere in the middle of 3500+ song playlist and nowhere else. Absolutly terrible..

I just rerolled to older version and will wait for a bit.

Suggested posts