Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No Spotify after Z5 Android 6.0 upgrade Spotify 4.8.1004

No Spotify after Z5 Android 6.0 upgrade Spotify 4.8.1004

Today I got "automatically" updated to Android 6.0 on Sony Xperia Z5 (Android 6.0 > Core ver. 3.10.84-perf-g19d6d92 Buildnr.32.1.A.1.163) and PROBLEM = Spotify (ver.4.8.1004) ) DOES NOT START and leaves system message "No Storage Area Found-Check the device storage settings", But my SD card is present and has the directory containing Spotify's cache of my offline tracks present. This must be a Spotify app problem. So this is the 54th time of frustrating problems related to using Spotify - do I have to uninnstall and use another 18 hours to download my approx 32 GB of playlist in extreme quality that I use offline?
11 Replies

This has happened due to the change in how Andoid Lollipop handles permissions. I thinjm you may have to completely uninstall then re-install the Spotify app so that the correct permissions are applied by the system in order for the Spotiify app to be granted access to write to the SD card

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Unfortunately from what I have read on Sony forums it looks like it's necessary, and it's Sony's fault 😞 Not looking forward to it either... on the plus side since Marshmallow apparently made Z5 much faster I hope Spotify will also stop taking 20-30 seconds to open.

Ok, this will go on forever then... About time for a "Autorestore Previous Offline Items to device"-function within the Spotifyapp!

That would be SO amazing. I've been installing, reinstalling etc. due to various problems and every time I have to spend half an hour pressing "Download", "Download", "Download"...

Have you checked to see if that Idea already exists in the Ideas section? If it does then add your Kudos to show your support. If not, create a new idea and if it gets enough Kudos it may well happen!

Android Troubleshooting:

I got to page 5 out of 92 in the Live Ideas section...

@navaira wrote:

I got to page 5 out of 92 in the Live Ideas section...

I just did a search and found this which is what I think you're looking for:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Re-download-previously-available-offline-music-with-1-cl...

Add kudos to the idea to show your support.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks! My brain isn't functioning sufficiently enough today to figure out what to search for...

The idea doesn't stand much of a chance though, two (now three) kudos in a year 😞

@navaira wrote:

Thanks! My brain isn't functioning sufficiently enough today to figure out what to search for...

The idea doesn't stand much of a chance though, two (now three) kudos in a year 😞

Make that 4 now 🙂

But yes, when I openened it and saw the count it didn;t fill me with much hope that it'll survive. At least now there has been some activity so hopefully it'll remain open a little longer

Android Troubleshooting:

Just got my own Marshmallow update. SD card was recognised by the phone, but not by Spotify – "Storage area not found" and crash. Deleting cache did nothing. I had to delete all the data, cache, app, reinstall and now redownloading all the songs. It's one time though that I don't blame Spotify for the error, Marshmallow completely revamps the way SD cards are treated.

Not to query.., I'm not a programmer..,

But: isn't it the responibility of the Spotify app to follow the rules? Android makes the rules, Spotify follows...??? 

If the data (ie. offline songs) is "stored/coded" in folders the exact same way from version to version in regards to Spotify's "format" or structure, and it's just the permission handling that is different, I would have thought an update to Spotify was the answer and not Android? 

Suggested posts