Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline files and mobile data

Offline files and mobile data

Random question,

Does Spotify play the offline downloaded tracks when not on wifi, but mobile data is enabled?

I only get 1GB of internet per month, downloading tracks/playlists offline when i'm on wifi at home is fine, but I'd rather not have to put the phone into flight mode each time I want to stream offline tracks in the car.

7 Replies

Offline songs means that they are already downloaded and there is no need to turt on wifi or mobile data to listen them.

If my post helped you to fix your problem, please press "Accept as Solution" button.

You'll be fine to play offline tracks, it won't eat your data plan.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Unless you want to scrobble your music information to last.fm, mobile data are needed for sure.
Sincerely, Eka Awaludin

To be sure that Spotifydoes not use any data, you can put Spotify in offline mode. This alternative is possible to find under the Settings and Playback menu.

If my post solved your issue, please accept it as a solution.

Okay, so I also have this problem when I will listen to music about 2 hours each school day (5 days out of the week) through android mobile. I will be listening to a playlist that is downloaded, and I have scrobbling enabled and I am not in spotify's offline mode.

So my question is, should spotify be using around 250 megabytes (not mbps) each month. 
To me, it seems like spotify is using more data than it needs to be for just last.fm scrobbling.

Another thing that could be implemented is just a cache in which spotify logs, [NAME] listened to [ARTIST, SONG, ALBUM, ect] at [TIME OF LISTEN] then when back on wifi just have it scrobble all at once, because I CANNOT be using 250 MBs/month because my data cap/limit is very low.

and im not sure if its just last.fm being a datahog but I really doubt that.

According to my experience with Spotify Desktop & Mobile, and the Celullar Operator / ISP: I mostly scrobble the songs that already downloaded. The scrobbling process to last.fm can be done with small data plan (around 16Kb/s to 64Kb/s - Unlimited).

Sincerely, Eka Awaludin

Why does last.fm have to use even that much data. I think it should be just music info and timestamp each time ending a song, which this could all be recorded in cache/temp files until wifi access is present in which spotify would upload all this cached/temp data to last fm

Suggested posts