Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

On verge of cancelling subscription due to android app

On verge of cancelling subscription due to android app

Does anyone know if there is anything i can do to improve the performance of the Spotify android app?

I am really enjoying my subscription to Spotify premium, it has reignited my love for discovering new music!

However, I am seriously considering changing to another music streaming service simply because of the horrendous performance of the Android Spotify app. The app often takes up to 5 mins to respond on starting it up on my phone. It lags horrendously and renders itself completely unresponsive all too often for my liking.

I have tried re-installing the app, clearing the cache/data and I have a high performance android phone so I don’t think the phone is to blame.

I do have a high number of tracks stored offline on an external SD card in the phone, could it be something to do with this?

I notice that my wife doesn’t suffer from the same problems as me with Spotify, the only difference being that she has zero tracks stored offline.

Any help much appreciated!

6 Replies

What device do you have? It may be that there are some apps/settings interfering

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the response, its a Sony Xperia Z2

any help much appreciated!

cheers

I wonder if your device needs a spring clean (factory reset). have you noticed other applications/the system running slower?

Android Troubleshooting:

I only recieved the phone a few weeks ago, at which point it had just had a complete factory reset!

So it's only just had a spring clean!

I have had a free trial of Google Music which runs like a dream compared to Spotify!

But i do like the multi platform approach with spotify, especially the windows application which is great.

So i am loathed to leave Spotify... but this android app is just shockingly slow, unresponsive and laggy. It's looking like a deal breaker!

Ah. Do you have any cache cleaning apps or power saving apps that may be slowing it down?

Can you also try a completely clean install; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

Android Troubleshooting:

So i've tried a clean install as per your instructions and yes indeed it did improve matters greatly... for a little while.

But sure enough, like every time i do a clean install to remedy the problem the spotify app seems to slowly start grinding to a halt. Yes it's usable at the moment but its very laggy and actually made my whole handset freeze and become unresponsive for about 2 mins yesterday?!

i don't want to have to do a clean install every few weeks in order to use the app thanks!

Seriously Spotify... i know i am one in a million of your customers but sort your sh*t out...

what with all these music exclusives (Beyonce, Drake, Radiohead) you've missed out on recently and the horrible android app experiece, i am eyeing up google music and tidal... heck i've even considered apple music! thats how bad its become!

Suggested posts