Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Output volume nerfed in new update?

Output volume nerfed in new update?

Hi guys,

Has the output volume of the app been limited in the latest update or is this an issue with my phone? Using a Samsung Galaxy SII and had no problems up until now,  but went out for a run with it last night after an update and the output volume was crippled, like half as loud if that. Any ideas?

6 Replies

I'm experiencing this too, I haven't listend to my S3 on headset for about a week, I think there was then an update and all of a sudden the volume is nowhere near as loud (even when maxed) as I remember it being.

It used to be I couldn't even max the volume because it would be too loud, now it's not close.

I was trying to determine whether or not it's the app or the phone.

It's definitely spotify.  If I listen to MP3's via PowerAmp or any other app on my phone which can play MP3's my volume returns to lovely levels and... more importantly my sound is back to being rich and full.

I don't know what Spotify has done with their android/mobile app, but I have a pair of Sennheiser IE80's and before, my sound when listening to spotify was clear and crisp, bass was punchy, EXACTLY what I expect.

Now there is definitely some sort of normalisation, the volume gets lowered automatically when I try and max the volume out, and EVEN WORSE, the sound all of sudden now sound flat and for lack of a better word.. crap!

The desktop app is just fine, and my headphones are fine by the way.  Please fix this spotify, I don't want to take my money elsewhere as I've loved the service till now but if I can't get the high quality sound quality and volume I used to get with your mobile app, then I might as well unsubscribe 😞

I'm having a similar issue on the Nexus 4. I know the N4 itself has a lower max-volume for its headphone output than other phones. Spotify, though, I can't get it loud enough to hear when I'm driving down the highway with my windows down. This is with the phone volume maxed out and the car stereo's volume maxed out.

Does turning off Spotify's equaliser make any difference to the volume for you guys?

Not for me, it's always been off as I use a 3rd party EQ for my S3.  I did try turning it off and using the Spotify one but it made no difference.

You'll be pleased to learn that we've got a fix for this issue, and it will be released in a future version. I can't say exactly when, as we have a few more urgent bugs which need to be fixed first, but keep your eyes open for updates!

Suggested posts