Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Performance Issues - Loading Playlists, Playing

Performance Issues - Loading Playlists, Playing

Description

When I try to use the application after it has either not been launched (after a reboot) or after it has been destroyed the first load takes minutes to actually load the contents of a playlist. And navigating to other locations in the application causes them to not load. In some cases I get stuck at an empty container for the application where both the navigation drawer and content view are completely blank.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

1. Start application

2. Click on playlist

3. Scroll down, and items are "loading..." for minutes on end.

4. If I press the Back button here I am taken back to an empty view for the Playlists view.

5. At this point I generally just leave my device on until I see the list finally load. Then click on some song. This again takes multiple minutes for the song to actually start playing.

Note: This only occurs on that inital launch, my guess is there are a lot of network calls going out and requests related to user interaction are not able to preempt currently queued events. I'm also attempting to access songs that are downloaded for offline use and am connected to WiFi when this happens (it happens on 4G as well)

What I expected to happen

The playlist would load quickly and clicking a song will actually make it play instead of having to wait.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Samsung Galaxy S4

Device’s Operating System

Jelly Bean (4.3)

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

15 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

4 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

11 GB

Is your device rooted?

Nope.

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

Nope.

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

When using WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G

My mobile Spotify version

E.g. 0.7.6.344

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

E.g. 0.8.4

My mobile provider and country

Verizon

My username

davidtpate

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

If so, please paste them here

5 Replies

Do you have a lot of playlists and offline tracks?

I'm not sure what constitutes a lot, in terms of playlists I have around 18. Of those 18 only 8 are downloaded containing around 1800 tracks.

If the spotify cache is on your external SD card, it can take a while for spotify to finish populating your playlists as it scans the cache each time. A faster external SD card could help speed things up or you could try deleting the cache and starting over in case it has become corrupted or fragmented.

Yeah, I avoid putting it on the External SD for that reason. In terms of cache, last night I cleared out the cache and all of the offline data and reinstalled the app. I let it re-download over night and am experiencing the same issues again.

Silly question but are you sure spotify isn't using the external storage? Are there any android/data/com.spotify folders there?

Suggested posts